Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Bypass download quota (limit)

• Please log in to reply

juliepac

juliepac

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi,

I'd like to know if it is possible to bypass somehow the limit of download imposed by the ISPs. I have a 10Mb connection and a download (and upload) limit of 60Gbs.
Before you tell me to pay more, I'd like to say that I already pay for the best connection available here in the area I live. Next, It's not possible to pay for extra gigas, so it's a blind alley...
Another thing is that I don't want to uncap the modem so I'd have more speed than what I'm paying for. This is not what i'm looking for.
I just want to be able to make my downloads and upload my stuff to my friends. That's all.

I have a cable connection, a motorola modem (provided by the ISP) and a router. So internet comes to my pc thought the router. And windows 7.

Can anyone help me??? 8-|

Thanks so much!

Ju.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
nope, there's no way to bypass the caps in place. you're seriously transmitting more than 60gb a month? of what?

juliepac

juliepac

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for the reply! Well, I downloaded 100gb Thiago month and it got my connection capped to 100kb/s... Snif snif... Of what?! Well, you've got to understand that being held in the third world you can get some things only by the net... Terrible.

I've read about mac address change. But it doesn't seem to work, although many people swear it does. What do you guys think about that?!?!?

Thanks!

juliepac

juliepac

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
*i downloaded 100gb this month*

sorry for the mistake, [bleep] auto correction to portuguese...

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

I've read about mac address change.

The HFC MAC address is used by your ISP in the provisioning process, such as FastFlow BPM. This is tied to the billing system as well.

I'm guessing theft of communications is considered bad form in Brazil, so you may want to consider any further actions very carefully.

juliepac

juliepac

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi Dafty, thanks for the reply. Yes, I'm pretty much sure that theft of communication is a crime here, but not getting what i'm paying for is not... Go figure... Anyway, I really don't wanna hack into the modem, since the modem is not mine, it belongs to the isp. That's what the hfc mac address is about, right? The actual mac address of the cable modem, right?
I'd like to know if changing the cpe mac addresses can help, whether on my router or on my pc.
How is the counting of traffic (downloaded and uploaded quantities) done? Through the hfc mac?
Some people swear that when they change the mac address on the router they get a new ip. It does not happen to me.

Thanks in advance!

Kisses from Brazil,

Ju.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP

That's what the hfc mac address is about, right? The actual mac address of the cable modem, right?

right

I'd like to know if changing the cpe mac addresses can help, whether on my router or on my pc.
How is the counting of traffic (downloaded and uploaded quantities) done? Through the hfc mac?
Some people swear that when they change the mac address on the router they get a new ip. It does not happen to me.

you're right, this won't help you at all. the ISP doesn't even really see your internal MACs (anything past the modem) as far as billing is concerned.

juliepac

juliepac

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi Dsenette,

Thanks for the reply once again. So, basically, I'm hopeless?! I can't accept that! There must be away! Ahhh! I mean, actually, the only way would be hacking into the modem... right? But I think I wouldn't go that far... No more options?