Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell Latitude D620 Slow & Frozen

• Please log in to reply

BandGeek47

BandGeek47

• Pip
  • 3 posts
My laptop is a dell Latitude D620.
It will load past the Windows XP black loading screen,
But then it just goes completely black, except for the mouse and two thin green lines on the right hand side.
You can move the mouse, but regardless whether you do or not, it takes five to ten minutes for it to load to the blue windows screen.
From there, it won't do anything.
Safe mode doesn't help. It does the same.
I've tried rebooting without the battery. No such luck.
I can get things to charge from it, but there is no response besides the disk under the mouse pointer for a few seconds.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
How old is laptop please.
Secondly can you connect an external monitor and see if that is OK.
Press Fn F8 to switch display to external monitor.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 26 July 2010 - 03:41 PM.

BandGeek47

BandGeek47

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

How old is laptop please.
Secondly can you connect an external monitor and see if that is OK.
Press Fn F8 to switch display to external monitor.

The laptop is two years old and has worked fine up until now.
I cannot connect to an external monitor at the moment, but I can later once I go on a search party for the cord.
What would I do once I've done that?
The computer I'm working at the moment (the one I'd be connecting my laptop to) is pretty old. Parts are not as old as others.
Monitor is Envision, the tower is a Dell Optiplex GX150.
Don't know if that really matters, but it couldn't hurt.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
It is with respect to Moonhok too early to suggest the video card needs replacing. Indeed it may not have one, it may well be integrated on the motherboard, unless MoonHok knows differently.
When you connect an external monitor, any will do that uses the same sub d15 pin we will then know if it is the graphics or the monitor.
Laptop screens have an inverter and this quite often goes faulty.
The reason I asked how old it was is beacuse a number of Dells have suffered this fault and Dell have replaced them up to three years, if satisfied that the fault was a batch of suspect LCD monitors and inverters.
I am not sure if it included the Dell D620 but my advice is to contact Dell and ask.

BandGeek47

BandGeek47

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

It is with respect to Moonhok too early to suggest the video card needs replacing. Indeed it may not have one, it may well be integrated on the motherboard, unless MoonHok knows differently.
When you connect an external monitor, any will do that uses the same sub d15 pin we will then know if it is the graphics or the monitor.
Laptop screens have an inverter and this quite often goes faulty.
The reason I asked how old it was is beacuse a number of Dells have suffered this fault and Dell have replaced them up to three years, if satisfied that the fault was a batch of suspect LCD monitors and inverters.
I am not sure if it included the Dell D620 but my advice is to contact Dell and ask.

The cord I had has long been frayed so I can't use it.
I'm trying to contact dell, but the message I got was,
"Dell Chat
Our records indicate that your service tag belongs to a system purchased in Canada. Please click here for Canadian Chat support ." and then it won't let me go further than that.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I can help no further, I am sorry.
This forum is for advice and I cannot assist with your contact with Dell.
I am not sure which "cord" you mean. Simply connect an external monitor.