Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Internet Explorer, the Zombie browser.

• Please log in to reply

averysadman

averysadman

• PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
I have been noticing something was eating up a chunk of RAM recently, and after having messed around with the task manager i found out what it was...
Internet Explorer (iexplore.exe)
I use Google Chrome, and before that i used Firefox, so there is no reason for IE to be open at any time. I tried killing it in the task manager, but every time i stopped it, the next time i checked it would be there again, eating RAM.
I located the folder and tried to delete it, and it told me i didn't have authorisation to delete the folder, which shocked me, as i disabled UAC months and months ago.
I tried everything to get rid of the folder, or find a way to render the program inoperable, but i couldn't, i was thwarted at every turn by the UAC that i had long since deactivated.
I couldn't even find IE in add/remove programs and add/remove windows components.
So, why do i not have full control of all of my files seen as UAC is turned off? I deactivated it to prevent such situations from ocurring, and why does IE keep coming back after i kill it?
And most importantly: how can i kill IE for good? (Garlic and silver bullets do not work)

Advertisements