Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can connect, but can't surf

• Please log in to reply

xoscarx

xoscarx

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
Hi there,

I just recently tried to connect to the internet using a computer(Windows XP) I haven't used since '05. (That was in Korea, if that has something to do with it). Basically it connects, I've received updates on programs, but anytime I try to use Foxfire or Internet Explorer it reads error.

I did try to hook it up once before and the modem guy could not get it to work (I didn't put too much faith in him). I do not think it's a firewall problem.

Some things:
-The wire that runs from the router to the computer has a continous light on the right and a flashing light on the left.
-There are packets received and sent.

Any one have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Oscar

Advertisements

xoscarx

xoscarx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Posting for a bump. No one's got any advice? Or had a similar problem?

MS-Free

MS-Free

• PipPipPip
  • 425 posts
I'll state the obvious (or what may seem to be the obvious). If your confident its not a firewall problem (I'll believe you on that one - even though you said "foxfire" which always makes me cringe). If this was originally working/running in Korea, and now your in the states, perhaps its a proxy issue?

If all your software was able to update, that would almost seem to indicate - to me at least - that there's something going wrong with your browser configuration. Maybe you'll have to manually adjust some of the connection settings in your browsers.

Mychael

Mychael

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
Does the home page load in the browser your trying to use?. Browsers are free downlaods so you could also try another browser to see what happens.

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
Remove any proxy settings and try again.

http://technet.micro...y/cc960614.aspx