Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Constant crashes/freezes

• Please log in to reply

VistaM

VistaM

• Pip
  • 4 posts
For the past two months or so I've been having daily crashes. The most frustrating of them are while I'm gaming. The game will play just fine but eventually my whole computer will lock up. It'll freeze on whatever image had currently been on my screen and the sound loops. It completely locks up and the only way to get it to stop is by holding down the power button.

Around the same time that these crashes started the computer overall got very sluggish. It takes a while to boot up and when I try to open up my browser or change tabs within my browser it takes a long time. Pretty much any time I try to run a program it takes far more than usual.

If I try to watch a video or watch them online on sites like Hulu or Youtube for example, I'll see a black box where the video should be and a loading circle in the middle but no video. It never actually shows the video, just the loading. Sometimes spamming refresh helps and it will start playing the video but usually it doesn't. When it does play a video, it stutters a lot, as though it's taking a long time to buffer or download the video. After a certain amount of time of just browsing the net or attempting to watch videos on Youtube, the same kind of crash happens. The screen freezes and if there was sound playing it loops. Since it's not in the middle of a game it freezes for a couple of seconds then restarts.

I've tried every diagnostic that I've been recommended and nothing seems to be wrong. Updates are up to date, drivers are up to date. I'm very meticulous about keeping everything up to date and cleaning out my case once a month. When I tried to defrag my hard drive it seemed to have just gotten stuck or something because I ran it for fourteen hours and it wasn't finished. I finally stopped it. It won't allow me to do a system restore either. I have 129 GB's left so I don't think it's a space issue. I flashed the BIOS today, still crashing.

I would really appreciate if anyone could take a look at my mem.dmp file and see if they see anything out of the ordinary. My system also seems to have generated a lot of .dmp files in the "livekernelreports" and "minidump" folders if anyone needs those as well. Those .dmp files go as far back as Feb of 2010 and I've had this same system since 07'. If those other .dmp files are needed let me know and I'll add them as well.

http://www.mediafire...woksv268mveud2a

Update 7/28/10:

I located 2GB's of bad memory and removed them. I can watch videos without the constant stuttering, or getting stuck in the "loading circles". However, it is still crashing on me.

Update 8/1/10:

It didn't crash on me for about two days. Yesterday it locked up on me (7/31/10) and I had to hold down the power button. Today, it locked up on me again with the same sound looping and this time it produced a MEM.DMP file. I'll include the new MEM.DMP file since I'm not sure if the crashing is being caused by the same thing or if it will look differently since I removed the bad memory.

New file: http://www.mediafire...2w91o4qw5x6ms8n

Edited by VistaM, 01 August 2010 - 01:29 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
:)

Please follow the steps below to enter the Event Viewer program in Vista. This will give me more information into what is causing your issue. You can get to Event viewer two ways and I will post both for you.

Method One

• Go to
• Start
• In the Search box type in Event Viewer in the search box and press Enter
• From this point you can follow from step four from the below method as they will be the same.
Method Two

• Go to Start
• Right click on the Computer Icon and select Manage
• Navigate to the Event Viewer, You will be prompted to accept the action you are going to perform. Click continue
• On the left window pane click on Local and then expand the Windows entry. This will allow you to see every error for the past 24 hours as well as the last 7 days in the right window pane.
• Look for the ones that correspond to the times that your issue occurred.
• If any are found please double click and expand the error. This will open and give you more information on the error.
• Please include that in your next reply.

VistaM

VistaM

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

:)

Please follow the steps below to enter the Event Viewer program in Vista. This will give me more information into what is causing your issue. You can get to Event viewer two ways and I will post both for you.

Method One

• Go to
• Start
• In the Search box type in Event Viewer in the search box and press Enter
• From this point you can follow from step four from the below method as they will be the same.
Method Two

• Go to Start
• Right click on the Computer Icon and select Manage
• Navigate to the Event Viewer, You will be prompted to accept the action you are going to perform. Click continue
• On the left window pane click on Local and then expand the Windows entry. This will allow you to see every error for the past 24 hours as well as the last 7 days in the right window pane.
• Look for the ones that correspond to the times that your issue occurred.
• If any are found please double click and expand the error. This will open and give you more information on the error.
• Please include that in your next reply.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to create an event file. Other than the unexpected shutdown messages. For example, It just crashed on me at 7:45pm. I checked the event log afterwards and there was nothing around that time other than the unexpected shutdown and I think that's because I have no choice but to hold down the power button.

Sometimes when it locks up on me and I restart it, I'll get that message about windows recovered from a serious error, to send them an error report which I do. It doesn't give me a solution it just closes. When I go check the "problem reports and solutions" section it will tell me that the problem is currently being researched.

I'll include the event messages that did happen around the time of the latest crash.

Log Name: System
Source: EventLog
Date: 8/13/2010 7:48:02 PM
Event ID: 6008
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: Robert-PC
Description:
The previous system shutdown at 7:45:48 PM on 8/13/2010 was unexpected.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.micro.../events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="EventLog" />
<EventID Qualifiers="32768">6008</EventID>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2010-08-13T23:48:02.000Z" />
<EventRecordID>238330</EventRecordID>
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>Robert-PC</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>7:45:48 PM</Data>
<Data>8/13/2010</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
<Data>10882</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
<Binary>DA07080005000D0013002D0030003400DA07080005000D0017002D0030003400600900003C000000010000006009000000000000B00400000100000000000000</Binary>
</EventData>
</Event>

I get the following two errors a loooot. I created a log for them by going into Event Viewer/Applications and Services/Microsoft/Windows/CAPI2. I managed to have traced them back to my internet security suite, Zonealarm Extreme. I contacted their tech support people a couple of weeks back and they informed me that they are aware of the problem and are currently working on a solution. They told me that despite it showing up on my event log, it shouldn't be the reason I'm crashing.

Log Name: Application
Source: Microsoft-Windows-CAPI2
Date: 8/13/2010 7:48:06 PM
Event ID: 11
Description:
Failed extract of third-party root list from auto update cab at: <http://www.download....uthrootstl.cab> with error: A required certificate is not within its validity period when verifying against the current system clock or the timestamp in the signed file.
Event Xml:
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-CAPI2" Guid="{5bbca4a8-b209-48dc-a8c7-b23d3e5216fb}" EventSourceName="Microsoft-Windows-CAPI2" />
<EventID Qualifiers="49154">11</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2010-08-13T23:48:06.000Z" />
<EventRecordID>98623</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" />
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>http://www.download....tstl.cab</Data>
<Data>A required certificate is not within its validity period when verifying against the current system clock or the timestamp in the signed file.
</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

Log Name: Application
Source: Microsoft-Windows-CAPI2
Date: 8/13/2010 3:02:20 AM
Event ID: 6
Level: Warning
Description:
Reached crypt32 threshold of 50 events and will suspend logging for 60 minutes.
Event Xml:
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-CAPI2" Guid="{5bbca4a8-b209-48dc-a8c7-b23d3e5216fb}" EventSourceName="Microsoft-Windows-CAPI2" />
<EventID Qualifiers="32770">6</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>3</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2010-08-13T07:02:20.000Z" />
<EventRecordID>98460</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>50</Data>
<Data>60</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

Log Name: Security
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Eventlog
Date: 8/13/2010 7:48:04 PM
Event ID: 1101
Task Category: Event processing
Keywords: Audit Success
Description:
Audit events have been dropped by the transport. The real time backup file was corrupt due to improper shutdown.
Event Xml:
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Eventlog" Guid="{fc65ddd8-d6ef-4962-83d5-6e5cfe9ce148}" />
<EventID>1101</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>101</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x4020000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2010-08-13T23:48:04.830Z" />
<EventRecordID>69626</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="284" ThreadID="1460" />
<Channel>Security</Channel>
<Security />
</System>
<UserData>
<AuditEventsDropped xmlns:auto-ns3="http://schemas.micro...2004/08/events" xmlns="http://manifests.mic...dows/eventlog">
<Reason>34</Reason>
</AuditEventsDropped>
</UserData>
</Event>

The following error message didn't happen around the time of the 7:45pm crash but since I do receive it several times a day I thought I would include it as well:

Source: Microsoft-Windows-WLAN-AutoConfig
Date: 8/13/2010 9:31:17 AM
Event ID: 4001
Level: Warning
Keywords:
User: SYSTEM
Description:
WLAN AutoConfig service has successfully stopped.

Event Xml:
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-WLAN-AutoConfig" Guid="{9580d7dd-0379-4658-9870-d5be7d52d6de}" />
<EventID>4001</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>3</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Opcode>2</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x4000000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2010-08-13T13:31:17.475Z" />
<EventRecordID>238212</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="344" ThreadID="3716" />
<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
</System>
<EventData>
</EventData>
</Event>

I see this one often as well:

Source: Service Control Manager
Date: 8/10/2010 12:48:35 PM
Event ID: 7009
Description:
A timeout was reached (30000 milliseconds) while waiting for the Microsoft .NET Framework NGEN v4.0.30319_X86 service to connect.
Event Xml:
<System>
<Provider Name="Service Control Manager" Guid="{555908D1-A6D7-4695-8E1E-26931D2012F4}" EventSourceName="Service Control Manager" />
<EventID Qualifiers="49152">7009</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2010-08-10T16:48:35.000Z" />
<EventRecordID>236233</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data Name="param1">30000</Data>
<Data Name="param2">Microsoft .NET Framework NGEN v4.0.30319_X86</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

Edited by VistaM, 13 August 2010 - 06:40 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That would take care of a couple of the events. Lets see if anything else is going on now.
Go to

Start and then to Run
Type in Chkdsk /r Note the space between k and /
Click Enter ...It will probably ask if you want to do this on the next reboot...click Y
If the window doesn't shutdown on its own then reboot the system manually. On reboot the system will start the chkdsk operation
This one will take longer then chkdsk /f

Note... there are 5 stages...
It may appear to hang at a certain percent for a hour or more or even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...
DO NOT SHUT YOUR COMPUTER DOWN WHILE CHKDSK IS RUNNING OR YOU CAN HAVE SEVERE PROBLEMS
This can take several hours to complete.
When completed it will boot the system back into windows.

Let me know if this fixes the problem

VistaM

VistaM

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

That would take care of a couple of the events. Lets see if anything else is going on now.
Go to

Start and then to Run
Type in Chkdsk /r Note the space between k and /
Click Enter ...It will probably ask if you want to do this on the next reboot...click Y
If the window doesn't shutdown on its own then reboot the system manually. On reboot the system will start the chkdsk operation
This one will take longer then chkdsk /f

Note... there are 5 stages...
It may appear to hang at a certain percent for a hour or more or even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...
DO NOT SHUT YOUR COMPUTER DOWN WHILE CHKDSK IS RUNNING OR YOU CAN HAVE SEVERE PROBLEMS
This can take several hours to complete.
When completed it will boot the system back into windows.

Let me know if this fixes the problem

I followed your instructions, however, it doesn't seem to be working for me. I typed into Run the exact phrase you asked me to type and all that happened was that a black box flashed on my screen for less than a second and then disappeared. That's it. I tried restarting my pc and nothing happened. I then tried it again and the same thing happened, black box flashed on the screen then disappeared.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You may need to do this at a elevated administrator mode.
How to Open Elevated Command Prompt in Windows 7
Method 1: Manual

1. Click on Windows 7 Start Button

2. Go to All Programs-> Accessories

3. Now right on Command Prompt and select “Run as Administrator” from context menu.

4. This should bring elevated command prompt mode with full Administrators rights.
Method 2: Search Bar

1. Click on Start and type CMD in search bar

2. Now press Ctrl+Shift+Enter

3. This should bring elevated command prompt with full Administrators rights.

Now redo the previous steps and type in chkdsk /r
Does it work now?