Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7

• Please log in to reply

jamirgrs

jamirgrs

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I keep having issues with my belkin router and the belkin tec support says its my computer. About every other day I cant connect to the belkin router and get a unable to connect flag from the router. sometimes I can "click to fix" and it works fine. I've had to reinstall the program a couple times and this last time it still wont work. Now the tec guy said it had something to do with the fact that I dont have the option to manage wireless routers on my computer. That option is on my roommates computer but not mine. Please help!

Edited by jamirgrs, 26 July 2010 - 08:10 PM.

Advertisements

Iconicmoronic

Iconicmoronic

• PipPip
  • 92 posts

I keep having issues with my belkin router and the belkin tec support says its my computer. About every other day I cant connect to the belkin router and get a unable to connect flag from the router. sometimes I can "click to fix" and it works fine. I've had to reinstall the program a couple times and this last time it still wont work. Now the tec guy said it had something to do with the fact that I dont have the option to manage wireless routers on my computer. That option is on my roommates computer but not mine. Please help!

hmmm, wierd auto quote...

I think by default that rip listener in windows features is turned on. You should double check. you might also want to update the firmware for your router. I got a belkin before 7 was out, so I'm unsure as to how they're updating their firmware although I'm sure drivers have been released. particularly what message are you getting from Windows? you might also try to turn on the wireless auto configuration service, and if the problem persists I'm told turning off ipv6 can help. In which case you'll be using v4 which is also less secure. It could all have to do with how your room mate has setup their configuration with the router with their pc. it's the hub, you're the network client and so you have to have a like configuration. your room mate might change the configuration to accomodate you by visiting the default configuration page. the way in which your card handles the network data is important too so you might check device manager and enable rx&tx in your offload (tcp,udp,v4, and enable large offload send in v6&v4 --if you don't need to turn off v6). you'll need secure socket tunneling services on for v6 to work correctly i believe.

control panel--->administrative tools--->services auto wireless config
control panel--->programs---->turn windows features on/off--->enable Rip Listener v1, TFTP, Dynamic and Static Compression (unsure which of the features its under but its a subfeature)
r-click computer--->properties--->device manager--->right click your network card--->properties--->enable rx&tx in offloads, and enable large send for v4 &v6 (most of this is default in 7).

As a note you'll want to turn on dynamic and static compression, and TFTP in order to save your bandwidth. I don't think background intelligent transfer will manage your data streams other than windows update.

If this doesn't work, then ask your roomate to look at how he has the router configured. Shouldn't be too tough. Any more detailed messages you can provide would be helpful in not aimlessly answering as well. hope it helps.

Edited by Iconicmoronic, 26 July 2010 - 08:32 PM.

jamirgrs

jamirgrs

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

hmmm, wierd auto quote...

I think by default that rip listener in windows features is turned on. You should double check. you might also want to update the firmware for your router. I got a belkin before 7 was out, so I'm unsure as to how they're updating their firmware although I'm sure drivers have been released. particularly what message are you getting from Windows? you might also try to turn on the wireless auto configuration service, and if the problem persists I'm told turning off ipv6 can help. In which case you'll be using v4 which is also less secure. It could all have to do with how your room mate has setup their configuration with the router with their pc. it's the hub, you're the network client and so you have to have a like configuration. your room mate might change the configuration to accomodate you by visiting the default configuration page. the way in which your card handles the network data is important too so you might check device manager and enable rx&tx in your offload (tcp,udp,v4, and enable large offload send in v6&v4 --if you don't need to turn off v6). you'll need secure socket tunneling services on for v6 to work correctly i believe.

control panel--->administrative tools--->services auto wireless config
control panel--->programs---->turn windows features on/off--->enable Rip Listener v1, TFTP, Dynamic and Static Compression (unsure which of the features its under but its a subfeature)
r-click computer--->properties--->device manager--->right click your network card--->properties--->enable rx&tx in offloads, and enable large send for v4 &v6 (most of this is default in 7).

As a note you'll want to turn on dynamic and static compression, and TFTP in order to save your bandwidth. I don't think background intelligent transfer will manage your data streams other than windows update.

If this doesn't work, then ask your roomate to look at how he has the router configured. Shouldn't be too tough. Any more detailed messages you can provide would be helpful in not aimlessly answering as well. hope it helps.

Well I'm on for now, but my belkin icon is blinking yellow and says I'm not connected, yet I have 5bars and I'm replying...I tried to click to fix again and this time it telles me " your computer is disconnected from your home network". Windows telles me that I need to plug in with an ethernet connection and I did that last night stright into the router. Still had problems. I also tried the things you sugested, but I dont seem to have an administrative tools or a device manager! This is so frustrating! I dont know anything about computers and dont understanh half of what you said, sorry. I hope I'm giving you enough info to help.