Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Upgrade Parts

• Please log in to reply

royuix

royuix

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hello Geeks!
I'm currently upgrading my old PC (Pentium 4 with some new parts).
I'm getting a new:
-GFX Card
-Processor
-RAM
-Motherboard

I have chosen the following but I'm not sure if it all adds up correctly, I don't want to get less out of my processor because of my motherboard vice versa. I'm planning to get windows 7 64Bit.
I am also worried about the power supply will a standard power source be enough? And do I need an extra cooler? Further I would like just an op opinion of these parts as I'm trying to save as much money as possible and not go to expensive.

Thank you!

PS. Im sorry all the links are in Dutch it's just because I live there I guess...

Edited by royuix, 27 July 2010 - 12:13 PM.

Advertisements

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Hello Geeks!
I'm currently upgrading my old PC (Pentium 4 with some new parts).
I'm getting a new:
-GFX Card
-Processor
-RAM
-Motherboard

I have chosen the following but I'm not sure if it all adds up correctly, I don't want to get less out of my processor because of my motherboard vice versa. I'm planning to get windows 7 64Bit.
I am also worried about the power supply will a standard power source be enough? And do I need an extra cooler? Further I would like just an op opinion of these parts as I'm trying to save as much money as possible and not go to expensive.

Thank you!

PS. Im sorry all the links are in Dutch it's just because I live there I guess...

Hi royuix, and welcome to Geeks to Go! :)

The parts you've selected are pretty standard, and it looks like everything is going to be a solid match. That Phenom will run just fine on that MSI board. The only suggestion I'd like to make would be regarding your RAM selection. You can probably get away with lower-speed RAM to save a few euros without taking too big of a hit on your system performance. That board will support DDR3 1333 or 1066; 4 GB of either of those is more than enough.

As for the PSU, you can probably get away with a 550 or 600 watt brick. Make sure, though, that it's at least 80-Plus certified.

What does the case for this puppy look like?

royuix

royuix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Hi royuix, and welcome to Geeks to Go! :)

The parts you've selected are pretty standard, and it looks like everything is going to be a solid match. That Phenom will run just fine on that MSI board. The only suggestion I'd like to make would be regarding your RAM selection. You can probably get away with lower-speed RAM to save a few euros without taking too big of a hit on your system performance. That board will support DDR3 1333 or 1066; 4 GB of either of those is more than enough.

As for the PSU, you can probably get away with a 550 or 600 watt brick. Make sure, though, that it's at least 80-Plus certified.

What does the case for this puppy look like?

Hi! Thanks for the reply.
I checked the power source and if I'm right it only runs 300 watts.. So I'll have to get a new PSU. As for the RAM, I found some good ones but I'm not sure which ones too choose with the cas numbers or whatever (x-x-x-y) so I've got 2 links here could you advise me which one would be better?
OCZ Platinum 4gb 10666-1333mhz 102 euro's
OCZ 4gb 10666-1333mhz 95 euro's

The case is a dutchbrand called Paradigit (quite big) and I couldn't find any pictures so I made some myself... google image of the pc
Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Here's a PSU I found that's rather cheap
Antec Basiq Series 500watt 24pins It's not 80+ certified is it? Does that matter a lot?
OCZ Fatal1ty 500 Watt SO UGLY but who cares? Does it matter if it's 20+24 pins? Or am I good with 24?

Thanks for your help!

Edited by royuix, 29 July 2010 - 02:32 PM.