Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to setup a network?

• Please log in to reply

lo2

lo2

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Hi there

Firstly I will start out by saying it looks like a nice forum you have got here, I am really looking forward to be able to get some support!

Well the case is that I have two computers at home, and I would like to put them together on a network. I am going to connect one of the computers to a printer. So I would like to be able to print from both computers. I would like one of them computers to be server, with a shared drive. And they should both be connected to the Internet of course.

So well that was the requirments for this network. I guess this is possible?

If so (which I assume), what would I need?

I have two fully equiped computers.

Advertisements

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts
What Operating System are they using?

Here are some good links for a read through:

Basic Networking concepts:

http://www.geekstogo...erfile-sharing/

http://computer.hows...ome-network.htm

http://www.geekgirls...-on-windows-xp/

Sharing Drives/Sharing Printers:

XP

Vista

Windows 7

If you have any problems, just ask :)

Edited by Cold Titanium, 27 July 2010 - 04:30 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
first and foremost you'll need a router. a router will allow you to plug your modem (assuming you're on broadband) into the router, then both computers (and more) into the router and have them all be able to see each other.

after that, you can either follow CT's suggestions above for setting up a workgroup, OR you could get a NAS device (network attached storage). it's basically a hard drive with a network card that you would connect directly to the router. then you can store all of your shared files on the NAS instead of on one of the computers. most NAS devices allow you to set up pretty granular file/folder security so that you can password protect individual locations to keep some things private. and there are quite a few models on the market with built in print servers which will allow you to connect the printer directly to the NAS and share it to any computer that connects to your network (like if a friend comes over with a laptop).

either sollution will work fine, i just hate workgroup networking. there's always some weird stupid issue that comes up at some point