Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't Repair XP, Can't reinstall XP

• Please log in to reply

mlwjackson

mlwjackson

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
I have attempted to do a repair install as well as a complete reinstall for XP Pro. It hangs at the same point each time. When it gets to the default language and input device it will not go further. I tried but am unable to do a complete wipe of the hard drive. The bios hard drive diagnostics indicate that the HD is okay. If I boot the PC without the install disk in it gets just past the Windows welcome screen then does a restart. It will continue to due the restart until I do a hard shutdown.

The PC is a Dell Optilex that was purchased used and has been fine for almost 2 years. The installation disk is a Dell original XP Pro SP3.

Where should I go from here?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Find out the manufacturer of the hard drive and use an appropriate testing tool from the website for that brand of drive. The BIOS tests are about as much good as a chocolate teapot.