Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow computer - windows XP

• Please log in to reply

dooncan

dooncan

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hi,

Thank you in advance for any help you can give. Very much appreciated.

I recently got infected with security tool. I managed to open task manager and stop the secutiry tool process so that I could run mbam to get rid of security tool. However, my computer still seems to be running pretty slowly. I wonder whether it is because i am still infected with some kind of virus, or that the computer is struggling to keep up these days or something else?

I am reluctant to use the malware cleaning guide on Geekstogo as I believe I got infected with security tool a couple of days back when I downloaded and opened OTL - the first programme in the geekstogo malware cleaning guide. When I tried re-visiting geekstogo, after infection, I couldn't access the site as geekstogo had been under some kind of hack attack..........

Thanks again for your help,

Dooncan

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I wonder whether it is because i am still infected with some kind of virus, or that the computer is struggling to keep up these days or something else?

Possible

I am reluctant to use the malware cleaning guide on Geekstogo as I believe I got infected with security tool a couple of days back when I downloaded and opened OTL - the first programme in the geekstogo malware cleaning guide. When I tried re-visiting geekstogo, after infection, I couldn't access the site as geekstogo had been under some kind of hack attack..........

This issue has been resolved and you should post in the malware forum with your issue and let them know your reluctance to download the needed programs to help yourself. They can further explain the situation and help you get clean and verified programs to run. As you can see the board has gone through some changes to stop any further issues.
The possibility of a lingering infection is most likely the cause of your issue.