Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer shuts down all of a sudden

• Please log in to reply

lo2

lo2

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Hey there

I have got this desktop computer from my sister, which I wanted to use for creating a network (already wrote a post on that).

I have however encountered a problem on the way. The problem is that when I am using this computer all of a sudden it just shuts down. To me it sounds like the power is turned off, and hence my computers shuts down. So I guess there is something wrong with the power supplier.

Another thing is that if it has been used for a while, it can run a longer period of time, than if it just had one of those shut downs. When you try to start it when it just had a "black out" it shuts down again after a brief period of time.

So what do you think? Do you agree that it is the power supply? And If so what to do?

It is running Windows XP.

Ask if you need more!

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
:)
I would tend to agree with your assessment of the issue. I would like to check the PSU voltages if that is at all possible. If you can get it to go into windows please do the following and post back the requested screenshot.
Download Speedfan (The download link is to the right), and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.
The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
To make sure we are getting all the correct information it would help us if you were to attach a screenshot like the one below of your Speedfan results.

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard.
  • It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
  • Now go to Start and then to All Programs
  • Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
  • In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
  • Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
  • Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop
  • Attach it to your next reply

Posted Image

lo2

lo2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

:)
I would tend to agree with your assessment of the issue. I would like to check the PSU voltages if that is at all possible. If you can get it to go into windows please do the following and post back the requested screenshot.
Download Speedfan (The download link is to the right), and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.
The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
To make sure we are getting all the correct information it would help us if you were to attach a screenshot like the one below of your Speedfan results.

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard.

• It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
  • Now go to Start and then to All Programs
  • Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
  • In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
  • Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
  • Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop
  • Attach it to your next reply

Posted Image

Hey there!

First thank you for your help!

Well I did do what you said. But I was just not sure for how long the speedfan program should be running, in order to get the suffiencent data?

Well the first I took right after I started the program:
Posted Image

Here is one a few minutes later:
Posted Image

lo2

lo2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Hey there, I am very grateful for your help, and I do not know if it might seem a bit disrespectful. But I would like a follow up on my post, so that I can find out what is wrong!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sorry for the long period of absence but the site was down for two days and I just got the notice of your response this morning.
Temps are within tolerable range but the PSU readings don't look right.
See if you can get a better reading using this.

Download SIW from HERE and get the Standalone English version
It will install itself and when finished
Then Click on SIW Icon to run program
On the left side click on Sensors and then on the right, copy and paste the information in your next reply

lo2

lo2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Sorry for the long period of absence but the site was down for two days and I just got the notice of your response this morning.
Temps are within tolerable range but the PSU readings don't look right.
See if you can get a better reading using this.

Download SIW from HERE and get the Standalone English version
It will install itself and when finished
Then Click on SIW Icon to run program
On the left side click on Sensors and then on the right, copy and paste the information in your next reply

It is really ok. Just glad that you are helping me :)

Here is what I got:
Posted Image

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please don't quote everything as it only slows responses down. The temps look good and the +3.3 voltage looks good so that is not the issue. I would liek to check the disk integrity to make sure we are not having a issue there.
Go to

Start and then to Run
Type in Chkdsk /r Note the space between k and /
Click Enter ...It will probably ask if you want to do this on the next reboot...click Y
If the window doesn't shutdown on its own then reboot the system manually. On reboot the system will start the chkdsk operation
This one will take longer then chkdsk /f

Note... there are 5 stages...
It may appear to hang at a certain percent for a hour or more or even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...
DO NOT SHUT YOUR COMPUTER DOWN WHILE CHKDSK IS RUNNING OR YOU CAN HAVE SEVERE PROBLEMS
This can take several hours to complete.
When completed it will boot the system back into windows.

Let me know if this fixes the problem

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Just thought of something else i would like to take a look at.
  • Please download the Event Viewer Tool by Vino Rosso VEW and save it to your Desktop:
  • Double-click VEW.exe
  • Under 'Select log to query', select (as appropriate):
    • Application
    • System
  • Under 'Select type to list', select (as appropriate):
    • Error
Then use the 'Date of events' or 'Number of events' as follows:

Either:
  • Click the radio button for 'Number of events'
    Type 6 in the 1 to 20 box (or any number from 1 to 20)
    Then click the Run button.
    Notepad will open with the output log.

• Click the radio button for 'Date of events'
    In the From: boxes type today's date (presuming the crash happened today) 13 07 2009
    In the To: boxes type today's date (presuming the crash happened today) 13 07 2009
    Then click the Run button.
    Notepad will open with the output log.
Please post the Output log in your next reply

lo2

lo2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Well I am not sure that I can do all that stuff before I go on holiday (tuesday).

But I tried to keep the speedfan program running on the computer. And then open more and more programs, thereby putting more tasks on the processor. And I saw as I put more pressure on the Processor that it got hotter. At the end it almost reached 70 C. And then after some time it went out.

So could it be the Processor that is overheating?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If you are referring to the CPU as the one going to 70 then yes. It would indicate a slowing fan or failing fan.
When was the last time it was opened and the dust cleaned out with a can of compressed air?
Have you physically watched the cpu fan to see if it is turning or slowing down?

Advertisements

lo2

lo2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Nope I have not had the cabinet of to check for dust in the fans, so I will do that.

But I am not going to it before I get home from the holiday. So I will be back in about ten days, hope it is ok :)

And once again thanks for the help!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep no problem just post the results and I will get a email of your response. Enjoy your holiday and see you when you get back.

lo2

lo2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Ok sorry about it taking a bit longer than expected, but I am back now.

SO you want me to take a look at the CPU fan, and clean it. What is the best way to do this, and is there something that I should be especially aware of when doing this?

lo2

lo2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

SO you want me to take a look at the CPU fan, and clean it. What is the best way to do this, and is there something that I should be especially aware of when doing this?

lo2

lo2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts