Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer shuts down all of a sudden

• Please log in to reply

lo2

lo2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Ok sorry about it taking a bit longer than expected, but I am back now.

SO you want me to take a look at the CPU fan, and clean it. What is the best way to do this, and is there something that I should be especially aware of when doing this?

Advertisements

lo2

lo2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Ok sorry about it taking a bit longer than expected, but I am back now.

SO you want me to take a look at the CPU fan, and clean it. What is the best way to do this, and is there something that I should be especially aware of when doing this?

lo2

lo2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
I am also sorry about spamming all those same messages, could someone please remove the 4 of them?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You will need to open the case by looking at the front of the case and then you remove the left side panel.
You will need a can of compressed air.
Once open then use the air to blow the inside of the computer out of all dust,
Pay close attention to the fan on the motherboard as this is the one that sits on top of your CPU.
The next item to check is the Power Supply.
Make sure the vents on it are cleared of any dust especially if you have animals or smoke in the house.
This will clog a fan quickly and cause overheating.
The last fan that should be in your system will be located in the front of the system or on the back and is the Second case cooling fan.
  • If in the front it is most likely pulling cool air into the system.
  • If on the back it is blowing hot air out of the system.
  • If any of these fans especially the one on the motherboard is not turning then it needs to be replaced.

If the cpu fan is especially dirty the we will have to take further steps to clean it other then the above. Let me know what your findings are.