Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unmovable Files

• Please log in to reply

tommyboy819

tommyboy819

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Did you save the autoruns log as a txt file?
If you did it should be small enough to attach. If you save it any other way it will be to big to attach.
I can help find the correct memory for your system and give you some suggestions on where and what to buy.
If you could give me the link to your crucial page with the suggested type of memory I can research for you.

Advertisements

tommyboy819

tommyboy819

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Did you save the autoruns log as a txt file?
If you did it should be small enough to attach. If you save it any other way it will be to big to attach.
I can help find the correct memory for your system and give you some suggestions on where and what to buy.
If you could give me the link to your crucial page with the suggested type of memory I can research for you.

tommyboy819

tommyboy819

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
http://www.crucial.c...D2BEFAE31D926C3

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
yep got it. Now for the next step.
Open Autoruns, click on "Logon" tab, and UN-check:

+ "SunJavaUpdateSched"
+ "swg" "GoogleToolbarNotifier"

When done restart computer and then:

Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop
  • Please double-click TFC.exe to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two. Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Once it's finished it should reboot your machine. If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.

Download Auslogics Defrag from the link in my signature below. Auslogics Defrag in my opinion is better because:

It does a more comprehensive job at Defragging
It will actually show you what it is doing
At the end of working it will show you how much speed you picked up
You can view a online log of the files that Auslogics defragged

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ok this is what your system uses for memory.

Each memory slot can hold DDR PC2700,DDR PC3200 with a maximum of 1GB per slot.*

It says it can hold up to 2 gigs of memory which should be plenty for what you would want to do.
I suggest this as this will also increase your page and buffer files which will help to speed your system up.
TigerDirect. I would suggest the Corsair memory at 44.99 USD for a 1 gig stick. If you put 2 gigs in that would 90.00USD plus shipping.

tommyboy819

tommyboy819

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Ok this is what your system uses for memory.

Each memory slot can hold DDR PC2700,DDR PC3200 with a maximum of 1GB per slot.*

It says it can hold up to 2 gigs of memory which should be plenty for what you would want to do.
I suggest this as this will also increase your page and buffer files which will help to speed your system up.
TigerDirect. I would suggest the Corsair memory at 44.99 USD for a 1 gig stick. If you put 2 gigs in that would 90.00USD plus shipping.

tommyboy819

tommyboy819

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Thank you so much rshaffer61 for all your help.
I will employ your recommendations tomorrow and advise you regarding my status.
Signing off for tonight.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are welcome and i will check back tomorrow for your results. :) :)

tommyboy819

tommyboy819

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

You are welcome and i will check back tomorrow for your results. :) :)

Hello,

I downloaded TFC, let it run, then rebooted.

Installed Ausologics with no change, (see attached report)

Reviewed info on memory upgrade. What is a 1 gig stick? If I can add memory just plugging something into the back of the CPU, I'm OK.
But if I have to open up the CPU and go poking around inside, I'd be lost and probably do more harm than good.

Sorry,
The report was too big to download even as a text file so I C & P the first page.

Guess I'll just have to live with the fragmented files.

I'll be gone most of the day but will check back later for your feedback.

Thank you again for all your help.

Disk Size 74.52 GB Free Space Size 50.84 GB Clusters 19535032 Sectors per cluster 8 Bytes per sector 512 Started defragmentation 7/29/2010 11:35:30 AM Completed defragmentation 7/29/2010 11:41:34 AM Elapsed time 00:06:03 Total Files 114802 Total Directories 8054 Fragmented Files 16608 Defragmented Files 0 Skipped Files 16608 Fragmentation Before 65.38% ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| Fragmentation After 65.38% |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yeah something isn't right because Auslogics didn't free up anything. Yes you will have to open the system to install the new memory but it is not as hard as you might think. A 1 gig memory stick to explain it as easyas I can is the same as 2 of the existing memory you have in your system now. You have 512 megs total right now so what I am suggesting is actually 1024 megs of memory. If and when you decide to increase the memory I will assist you with that including posting some pics which will help you identify what you will be looking at. :) :) :)
NOW we need to dig a little deeper into things and see whats going on.
Go to

Start and then to Run
Type in Chkdsk /r Note the space between k and /
Click Enter ...It will probably ask if you want to do this on the next reboot...click Y
If the window doesn't shutdown on its own then reboot the system manually. On reboot the system will start the chkdsk operation
This one will take longer then chkdsk /f

Note... there are 5 stages...
It may appear to hang at a certain percent for a hour or more or even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...
DO NOT SHUT YOUR COMPUTER DOWN WHILE CHKDSK IS RUNNING OR YOU CAN HAVE SEVERE PROBLEMS
This can take several hours to complete.
When completed it will boot the system back into windows.

Let me know if this fixes the problem

Advertisements

tommyboy819

tommyboy819

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
I

Yeah something isn't right because Auslogics didn't free up anything. Yes you will have to open the system to install the new memory but it is not as hard as you might think. A 1 gig memory stick to explain it as easyas I can is the same as 2 of the existing memory you have in your system now. You have 512 megs total right now so what I am suggesting is actually 1024 megs of memory. If and when you decide to increase the memory I will assist you with that including posting some pics which will help you identify what you will be looking at. :) :) :)
Go to
Start and then to Run
Click Enter ...It will probably ask if you want to do this on the next reboot...click YIf the window doesn't shutdown on its own then reboot the system manually. On reboot the system will start the chkdsk operation

It may appear to hang at a certain percent for a hour or more or even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...
DO NOT SHUT YOUR COMPUTER DOWN WHILE CHKDSK IS RUNNING OR YOU CAN HAVE SEVERE PROBLEMS

tommyboy819

tommyboy819

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

I

Go to
Start and then to Run
Click Enter ...It will probably ask if you want to do this on the next reboot...click YIf the window doesn't shutdown on its own then reboot the system manually. On reboot the system will start the chkdsk operation

Good Morning.

I have to go out of town today but will be back tomorrow to work on your latest fix.

As for adding more memory, if you can tell me what I need to buy, (closer to 2 gig would probably be better), and where to get the best price, (I prefer to buy retail rather than on the internet), that would be helpful.

Sending pictures would be the most helpful since I would know in advance what I'm in for.

Have a good day and thank you again.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
In post 20 I gave you a link to TigerDirect that shows the memory you can put in your system. I also included my suggestion for which of the listed memory to buy.
This topic HERE and scroll down to picture 16 about half way down the page and you will see the memory slots and if you start from there it will instruct you on how to place the memory in the system correctly.
Also FYI you don't need to quote everything if you are answering my previous post. It slows everything down some looking for your response. :)

tommyboy819

tommyboy819

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
I ran CHKDSK. Files will still not defrag.

I don't think you ever answered my question directly.

Will the addition of more memory permit me to defrag my hard drive, or are they 2 separate problems?

I will consider the addition of more memory and how to achieve it.

Thank you for all your responses.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
You have 2 separate problems going on.
Adding memory will speed up the overall startup of the computer as well as overall speed of use.
The computer is choking itself with so little. With only 47mb free it will/ is very slow.

From the Everest report
Physical Memory:
Total 479 MB
Used 432 MB
Free 47 MB
Utilization 90 %

Some files won't be defragged.
Are you backing up the drive as a image file? Because image files will have a hard time defragging.
What is your email program? The files associated with email can be quite large.