Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Weird Screen Issue

• Please log in to reply

lllintothevoidlll

lllintothevoidlll

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I'm having a weird issue with my computer screen (Qosmio Model X301-Q701)

The screen works fine until I enlarge a window with a lot of white or gray in it to larger than 80% of my screen or maximize it.

I will get transparent flashing horizontal lines that come across the screen. If the window is scrollable such as a web page, when I scroll the lines move with the page.

If I maximize a window with other colors such as solitaire or media center, it works perfect. The LCD and graphics card have been replaced within the last few months and it is not happening all the time (just on white or gray backgrounds) which leads me to believe that it's not a hardware problem.

I took a video with my cell () What you see is what I see when the issue happens.

Any ideas I can try?

I've updated my graphics driver to the latest and greatest already with no help.

Update: adjusting the brightness, contrast, and gamma has created a temporary fix but I would like to resolve this.

Edited by lllintothevoidlll, 28 July 2010 - 11:56 AM.

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
It sounds like the inverter is starting to fail. These can be repaired for around $50 to $150 for the parts, and about 1 - 2 hours for labor by a competent technician. That said, whenever troubleshooting potential monitor problems, it is best to swap monitors with another computer to see if the problem follows your monitor, or stays with the computer. If it follows your monitor, you know it is the monitor. If it stays with the computer, you know it is something to do with the computer, or its graphics solution.

lllintothevoidlll

lllintothevoidlll

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

It sounds like the inverter is starting to fail. These can be repaired for around $50 to $150 for the parts, and about 1 - 2 hours for labor by a competent technician. That said, whenever troubleshooting potential monitor problems, it is best to swap monitors with another computer to see if the problem follows your monitor, or stays with the computer. If it follows your monitor, you know it is the monitor. If it stays with the computer, you know it is something to do with the computer, or its graphics solution.

Unfortunately this is a laptop.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

Unfortunately this is a laptop.

Well, swapping monitors is out, but you can attach an external monitor and see if it happens on it too. Nevertheless, the price for replacing the inverter is the same on laptop LCD monitors as it is on desktop LCD monitors.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Here is a method for testing the inverter & backlight http://www.fonerbooks.com/test.htm
This one also includes various symptoms that you may encounter http://www.laptoppar...inverter-board/

Edited by phillpower2, 28 July 2010 - 02:08 PM.

lllintothevoidlll

lllintothevoidlll

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Ok I connected both a CRT and flat panel monitor to my laptop to see what would happen. Still get the lines on the laptop display, but not on the other two monitors.