Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Static IP issues

• Please log in to reply

conano7o

conano7o

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
My work computer is being a little crazy? I have a ultraVNC connection hooked up to it so i can do some work from home etc. I noticed that the IP address had changed to use an ip address in the DHCP range of our router. I also have assigned some static IPs like my computer was so i can access via UltraVNC. Everytime i restart the maching or shut down it defaults to DHCP. I tried changing it to static but it just wont stick. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
which computer is going to DHCP? the work computer or your home computer? are you the IT guy, or do you have an IT group?

Schisme

Schisme

• Pip
  • 3 posts

My work computer is being a little crazy? I have a ultraVNC connection hooked up to it so i can do some work from home etc. I noticed that the IP address had changed to use an ip address in the DHCP range of our router. I also have assigned some static IPs like my computer was so i can access via UltraVNC. Everytime i restart the maching or shut down it defaults to DHCP. I tried changing it to static but it just wont stick. Any ideas would be appreciated.

While you want to find out what's going on with your DHCP/Static settings. Something to keep in mind while you figure it out is that many routers allow you to setup Static IPs based on MAC addresses.

conano7o

conano7o

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Yes i am the IT guy. I have the DHCP range from 192.168.1.20 to 192.168.1.199. There are some devices that are not in that range that work properly with a static ip of 192.168.1.200 etc. My Ip address is supposed to be 192.168.1.10 but everytime i restart it goes back into the dhcp settings? In the mean time im going to try to update or roll back the driver for my network card.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
and you're sure there are no scripts or anything running on your machine that are used to reset your NIC settings?

deffinitely check your NIC driver and see if that helps

is DHCP handled by a DHCP server or a router?

conano7o

conano7o

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Its handled by a DHCP Router. There are other machines that are statically setup and not in the DHCP range that work fine. I think i may have some kind of virus on my machine. I looked that the hosts file and it looks fine and also looked at the Internet Explorer settings to see if the proxy box was checked and its not. I cant even ping out to a webpage. I have an old NIC card here which i tried as well and it seems to be doing the same thing the onboard NIC did. So im kinda stuck at this point seeing if it is a virus. Im going to do the necessary scans to see if it is some kind of virus or script that is blocking the access. Whats weird is it keeps changing my IP address even though i specify a certain address to use.

conano7o

conano7o

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I figured it out. It ending up being backdoor.tidserv!inf virus. I had to use combofix to get rid of it. There must have been some scripting in there that kept changing my ip address. All is well now.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
Please read the Malware/Spyware cleaning guide here follow the instructions at the top....

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty (and you may not be) then post an OTL log in THE MALWARE FORUM forum.
(Posting OTL logs or ANY other logs requested in the malware/spyware cleaning guide in any other forum other than the malware forum is forbidden. If you post any of these logs in any other forum, it will be removed and it will take you longer to get help, so please make sure you only post logs in the malware forum)

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread..