Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ports automatically sop working

• Please log in to reply

herbz100

herbz100

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi guys, I needed help with resolving an issue which is really bugging me now especially when im moving large files from my computer to my external hard drive.

I can use the internet for fairly long, about 1-2 hours but always varies until the internet stops responding.

Its not just the internet but ive figured it out that its all the ports that stop working altogether.

Can someone please help with this very annoying issue.

Thanks

Herbz100

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hey herbz100! Welcome to G2G!

Kind of a little curious as to your problem at hand.

You say that you are having troubles copying files from your computer to your external HD, but then you comment that you can use the Internet fine for about 1-2 hours before it hangs up on you. Sorry but just kind of confused about what is going on. If you could, please answer the following questions the best you can:

1.) Are you using the Internet when you are copying files to your external HD?

2.) Have you tried having nothing plugged into any of your ports besides the Ethernet cable for the Internet (and maybe a mouse/keyboard)? If so, does the problem still occur 1-2 hours later?

3.) What type of Internet connection do you have? I.E. -- Cable or DSL or Dialup

4.) What do you all have plugged into all your ports? (mouse, keyboard, camera, etc.)

5.) You say every port stops working, so am I safe to assume that you mean you no longer can use your keyboard and mouse, and that you have to manually power the computer down? If not, then what does work, and what doesn't work?

Once you answer those questions, we can proceed and see if we can't figure this out.

Fenor

herbz100

herbz100

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
.) Are you using the Internet when you are copying files to your external HD?
Yes I am using the internet while transfering files to my hardrive.

2.) Have you tried having nothing plugged into any of your ports besides the Ethernet cable for the Internet (and maybe a mouse/keyboard)? If so, does the problem still occur 1-2 hours later?
Yes the problem still occurs even if I dont plug anything in the ports.

3.) What type of Internet connection do you have? I.E. -- Cable or DSL or Dialup
It is a cable

4.) What do you all have plugged into all your ports? (mouse, keyboard, camera, etc.) I dont have anything plugged into my usb ports apart from my modem.

5.) You say every port stops working, so am I safe to assume that you mean you no longer can use your keyboard and mouse, and that you have to manually power the computer down? If not, then what does work, and what doesn't work? Sorry its only the usb ports. The keyboard and mouse are plugged into the back of the computer using a different connection (forgot what they are called) and work okay.