Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Power supply?

• Please log in to reply

m3rky

m3rky

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello, well I'm building my first system, I have all the parts apart from the power supply. I don't know what kind of wattage power supply I will need. I will list my parts below.

CPU: Intel core i7 930 (2.8ghz)
MOBO: Asus p6t deluxe V2
CASE: Antec twelve hundred ( 1200 )
GPU: I will be running TWO Ati 4890's in crossfire
RAM: 6gb tri channel - OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 / 1333 MHz /Gold Edition (3 2gb sticks)

also: basic DVD RW drive, basic 500GB HDD..

that's about it, anybody have any idea what kind of wattage power supply I will be needing? Would it be too much for you to advise me a PSU suitable?

Thanks for the help.

Side note:

Would it be worth having 3 4890's? I didn't think so...

Edited by m3rky, 28 July 2010 - 03:28 PM.

Advertisements

royuix

royuix

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Hello, well I'm building my first system, I have all the parts apart from the power supply. I don't know what kind of wattage power supply I will need. I will list my parts below.

CPU: Intel core i7 930 (2.8ghz)
MOBO: Asus p6t deluxe V2
CASE: Antec twelve hundred ( 1200 )
GPU: I will be running TWO Ati 4890's in crossfire
RAM: 6gb tri channel - OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 / 1333 MHz /Gold Edition (3 2gb sticks)

also: basic DVD RW drive, basic 500GB HDD..

that's about it, anybody have any idea what kind of wattage power supply I will be needing? Would it be too much for you to advise me a PSU suitable?

Thanks for the help.
Side note:

Would it be worth having 3 4890's? I didn't think so...

I'm not too sure about the wattage but the only reason you would ever want to get two Graphics cards is if you want to use two monitors, and I also believe it reduces te performance from each GPU.
Using 2 GFX cards makes the wattage increase by about 100 W 'ish so I'm guessing around 650 W for 2 graphics cards and 500 W for only one.
Note: I'm not completely sure about this you should get a second reply to confirm this.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Greetings, m3rky.

I would suggest nothing lower than 500 watts. Even then I'm on the fence. I would recommend a 650 watt PSU for your setup. This should cover your current setup and provide a little "wiggle room" for small upgrades.

I have always liked Corsair PSUs, however, there is nothing "wrong" with most others. I have purchased two 750 watt Corsair PSUs within the last couple of years, and I really like them. It's up to you though - find a few you like and do a comparison, as well as searching for reviews on the product(s). You can always ask us if you're on the fence as well.

Good luck :)

m3rky

m3rky

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Greetings, m3rky.

I would suggest nothing lower than 500 watts. Even then I'm on the fence. I would recommend a 650 watt PSU for your setup. This should cover your current setup and provide a little "wiggle room" for small upgrades.

I have always liked Corsair PSUs, however, there is nothing "wrong" with most others. I have purchased two 750 watt Corsair PSUs within the last couple of years, and I really like them. It's up to you though - find a few you like and do a comparison, as well as searching for reviews on the product(s). You can always ask us if you're on the fence as well.

Good luck :)

Thank you so much for such a wonderful and informative reply. I shall look into buying a corsair PSU. Thanks!!!!!!!!