Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

invisible audio spyware?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

SweetTech

SweetTech

Sir SpamAlot

• Retired Staff
  • 7,671 posts
Hello,

Please do the following:

• Run MBRCheck.exe
  • Wait until you see the following line: Enter 'Y' and hit ENTER for more options, or 'N' to exit:
  • Please push the 'Y' key and then press Enter
  • When program ask you Enter your choice: enter 2 and press the Enter key
  • Now the program will ask you "Enter the physical disk number to fix (0-99, -1 to cancel):"
  • Enter 0 and press the Enter key.
  • The program will show Available MBR codes:, followed by a list of operating systems. Please enter 1 for Windows XP, and then press Enter.
  • The program will prompt for confirmation. Type 'YES' and hit Enter.
  • Left click on the title bar (where program name and path is written).
  • From menu chose Edit -> Select All
  • Hit the Enter key on your keyboard to copy selected text.
  • Paste that text into Notepad, save it to your desktop as "MBRCheck results.txt"
  • Restart your PC.
  • Post the text in "MBRCheck results.txt" here, please, as well as include an update on how your computer is currently running.

Advertisements

Zylocks

Zylocks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
ok, so after the log i accidentally closed it somehow without copying it before hand :). it asked me to restart, and i did.

im not sure what i should do now O_o. as of now i have no problems with my computer, although it usually seems a while for the random stuff to kick in.

SweetTech

SweetTech

Sir SpamAlot

• Retired Staff
  • 7,671 posts
Can you please re-run MBR Check. Like you did the first time you ran the tool, and post the log for me to review?

Zylocks

Zylocks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
its different now O_o. when i open it under MBR status it is green and says windows mbr code detected. it wasn't this before. also it says "Done! Press Enter to exit.." there are no other options

SweetTech

SweetTech

Sir SpamAlot

• Retired Staff
  • 7,671 posts
Hello,

That is good! It means the fix we ran worked properly. Lets run a few additional scans to ensure we have gotten everything.

Scanning with MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware
Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to your desktop.

• Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
  • At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
  • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
  • Once the program has loaded, select Perform quick scan, then click Scan.
  • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
  • Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When completed, a log will open in Notepad. Please save it to a convenient location and post the results.
Extra Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts, click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process, if asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately.

NEXT:

Kaspersky Online Scanner
Using Internet Explorer or Firefox, visit Kaspersky Online Scanner

1. Click Accept, when prompted to download and install the program files and database of malware definitions.

2. To optimize scanning time and produce a more sensible report for review:
  • Close any open programs
  • Turn off the real time scanner of any existing antivirus program while performing the online scan. Click HERE to see how to disable the most common antivirus programs.
3. Click Run at the Security prompt.

The program will then begin downloading and installing and will also update the database.
Please be patient as this can take quite a long time to download.
  • Once the update is complete, click on Settings.
  • Make sure these boxes are checked (ticked). If they are not, please tick them and click on the Save button:
    • Spyware, adware, dialers, and other riskware
    • Archives
    • E-mail databases
  • Click on My Computer under the green Scan bar to the left to start the scan.
  • Once the scan is complete, it will display if your system has been infected. It does not provide an option to clean/disinfect. We only require a report from it.
  • Do NOT be alarmed by what you see in the report. Many of the finds have likely been quarantined.
  • Click View report... at the bottom.
  • Click the Save report... button.

Posted Image

• Change the Files of type dropdown box to Text file (.txt) and name the file KasReport.txt to save the file to your desktop so that you may post it in your next reply

NEXT:

Security Check
Download Security Check by screen317 from here or here.
  • Save it to your Desktop.
  • Double click SecurityCheck.exe and follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.
  • A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document.

Zylocks

Zylocks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
i actually downloaded malaware bytes last night and ran it. is that fine, or should i run another one now?

SweetTech

SweetTech

Sir SpamAlot

• Retired Staff
  • 7,671 posts
Hello,

Please use these instructions for MBAM.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

I see that you have Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware installed on your computer could you please do a scan using these settings:

• Open Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Select the Update tab
  • Click Check for Updates
  • After the update have been completed, Select the Scanner tab.
  • Select Perform quick scan, then click on Scan
  • Leave the default options as it is and click on Start Scan
  • When done, you will be prompted. Click OK, then click on Show Results
  • Checked (ticked) all items and click on Remove Selected
  • After it has removed the items, Notepad will open. Please post this log in your next reply. You can also find the log in the Logs tab. The bottom most log is the latest
Extra Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts, click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process, if asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately.

Zylocks

Zylocks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
malawatre bytes log

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.46
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 4367

Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3
Internet Explorer 6.0.2900.5512

29/07/2010 4:08:46 PM
mbam-log-2010-07-29 (16-08-46).txt

Scan type: Quick scan
Objects scanned: 136651
Time elapsed: 12 minute(s), 16 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

SweetTech

SweetTech

Sir SpamAlot

• Retired Staff
  • 7,671 posts
Okay. Please carry on with the Kaspersy online scanner, and the SecurityCheck scan. :)

Zylocks

Zylocks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
sorry, was busy earlier today. I think everything is cleared up though!, although i will continue with the steps you suggested.

Advertisements

Zylocks

Zylocks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

sorry, was busy earlier today. I think everything is cleared up though!, although i will continue with the steps you suggested.

kasreport

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
KASPERSKY ONLINE SCANNER 7.0: scan report
Thursday, July 29, 2010
Operating system: Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 (build 2600)
Kaspersky Online Scanner version: 7.0.26.13
Last database update: Thursday, July 29, 2010 19:05:11
Records in database: 4199205
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scan settings:
scan using the following database: extended
Scan archives: yes
Scan e-mail databases: yes

Scan area - My Computer:
A:\
C:\
D:\
E:\

Scan statistics:
Objects scanned: 62335
Threats found: 0
Infected objects found: 0
Suspicious objects found: 0
Scan duration: 01:11:52

No threats found. Scanned area is clean.

Selected area has been scanned.

sequrity check

Results of screen317's Security Check version 0.99.4
Windows XP Service Pack 3
Internet Explorer 6 Out of date!
``````````````````````````````
Antivirus/Firewall Check:

Windows Firewall Enabled!
avast! Free Antivirus
Antivirus up to date! (On Access scanning disabled!)
```````````````````````````````
Anti-malware/Other Utilities Check:

Ad-Aware
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
Java™ 6 Update 17
Out of date Java installed!
Adobe Flash Player 10.0.32.18
Adobe Reader 9.2
Out of date Adobe Reader installed!
Mozilla Firefox (3.6.6)
````````````````````````````````
Process Check:
objlist.exe by Laurent

Ad-Aware AAWService.exe is disabled!
Ad-Aware AAWTray.exe is disabled!
Alwil Software Avast5 AvastSvc.exe
ALWILS~1 Avast5 avastUI.exe
````````````````````````````````
DNS Vulnerability Check:

Unknown. This method cannot test your vulnerability to DNS cache poisoning.

``````````End of Log````````````

SweetTech

SweetTech

Sir SpamAlot

• Retired Staff
  • 7,671 posts
Hello,

Please post back once you've done the following things below:

Please visit this link here: http://www.microsoft...wide-sites.aspx to download the latest version of Internet Explorer.

Java Outdated
Your Java is out of date. Older versions have vulnerabilities that malicious sites can use to exploit and infect your system. Please follow these steps to remove older version Java components and update:
  • Download the latest version of Java Runtime Environment (JRE) Version 6 and save it to your desktop.
  • Look for "JDK 6 Update 21 (JDK or JRE)".
  • Click the "Download JRE" button to the right.
  • Select your Platform: "Windows".
  • Select your Language: "Multi-language".
  • Read the License Agreement, and then check the box that says: "Accept License Agreement".
  • Click Continue and the page will refresh.
  • Under Required Files, check the box for Windows Offline Installation, click the link below it and save the file to your desktop.
  • Close any programs you may have running - especially your web browser.
Go to Start > Settings > Control Panel, double-click on Add/Remove Programs and remove all older versions of Java.
  • Check (highlight) any item with Java Runtime Environment (JRE or J2SE) in the name.
  • Click the Remove or Change/Remove button and follow the onscreen instructions for the Java uninstaller.
  • Repeat as many times as necessary to remove each Java versions.
  • Reboot your computer once all Java components are removed.
  • Then from your desktop double-click on jre-6u21-windows-i586.exe to install the newest version.
  • If using Windows Vista and the installer refuses to launch due to insufficient user permissions, then Run As Administrator.
  • When the Java Setup - Welcome window opens, click the Install > button.
  • If offered to install a Toolbar, just uncheck the box before continuing unless you want it.
-- Starting with Java 6u10, the uninstaller incorporated in each new release uses Enhanced Auto update to automatically remove the previous version when updating to a later update release. It will not remove older versions, so they will need to be removed manually.
-- Java is updated frequently. If you want to be automatically notified of future updates, just turn on the Java Automatic Update feature and you will not have to remember to update when Java releases a new version.

Note:
The Java Quick Starter (JQS.exe) adds a service to improve the initial startup time of Java applets and applications.
To disable the JQS service if you don't want to use it, go to Start > Control Panel > Java > Advanced > Miscellaneous and uncheck the box for Java Quick Starter.
Click Ok and reboot your computer.

NEXT

Clean Java Cache & Temporary Files
  • After the install is complete, go into the Control Panel (using Classic View) and double-click the Java Icon. (looks like a coffee cup)
    • On the General tab, under Temporary Internet Files, click the Settings button.
    • Next, click on the Delete Files button
    • There are two options in the window to clear the cache - Leave BOTH CheckedApplications and AppletsTrace and Log Files
  • Click OK on Delete Temporary Files Window

Note: This deletes ALL the Downloaded Applications and Applets from the CACHE.
  • Click OK to leave the Temporary Files Window
  • Click OK to leave the Java Control Panel.

NEXT:

Update Adobe Reader
Earlier versions of Adobe Reader have known security flaws so it is recommended that you update your copy
  • Go to Start > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs
  • Remove ALL instances of Adobe Reader
  • Re-boot your computer as required.
  • Once ALL versions of Adobe Reader have been uninstalled, visit: <<here>> and download the latest version of Adobe Reader
Alternative Option: after uninstalling Adobe Reader, you could try installing Foxit Reader from >here< Foxit Reader has fewer add-ons therefore loads more quickly.

Zylocks

Zylocks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
thank you very much!

i've done everything except cleaning out the cache. i went into control panel, switched on classic view, and cannot see any java, or java like icons.

Zylocks

Zylocks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
hrm.. i also went to check something and it said 'an additional plugin is required for you to display this webpage', and it directed me to the java site. if i go to my add or remove programs, it lists Java™SE Development Kit 6 update 21 as being there..

SweetTech

SweetTech

Sir SpamAlot

• Retired Staff
  • 7,671 posts
It's probably telling you that because you need to have the following Java version installed: Java™ JRE 6 update 21. In my instructions what I had directed you to download.