Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with Linux Mint 9

• Please log in to reply

Incoming

Incoming

• PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
Well I want to try Linux Mint 9; so I burned the .ISO to a USB ( Only way I can do it, don't ask why ) :)

And when I reboot, nothing happens, Just goes into Windows

What do I do?

Advertisements

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Flash drives have to be set up to boot differently than just an ISO on a disk. Pendrive Linux

Incoming

Incoming

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
I used a USB Burner to format the pen drive. I've done it before, confused why it isn't working

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
Are you sure that your system is setup to boot from the CD before the hard drive?

Incoming

Incoming

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
If I set it up to boot from the CD first, how do i change it back

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
The same way you set it up to boot from the CD first, but you don't really need to change it back. If there is no disk in the CD drive, then it will boot from the hard drive.

Incoming

Incoming

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
Sorry for the late reply, I used it on a different computer and now I understand BIOS and stuff :)

Okay well, when I was trying to partition (on this computer, the one from OP), and it told me to drag the little clicker thing, I could only drag it and give it 10 GB of space? I wanted to give it about 38 GB. If I setup an NTFS partition, can I install it onto the free space, and not effect windows?

jeffeulogy

jeffeulogy

• Pip
  • 3 posts
how is your pc partitioned now? do you have windows installed yet or are you planning on doing it later? ubuntu has wubi built in which lets you install it on the same partition as windows, seeing as how mint is basically ubuntu i'm sure it does as well. might be an option to keep in mind.

Incoming

Incoming

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
Only use Fedora now :)