Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows possibly causing my computer to crash?

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK so it seems the installation itself is not right.
Lets try a startup repair on your current installation to see if it resolves the issue.
You will have to Perform a Repair Installation For Win 7\Vista...guide is HERE
This will allow you to repair your Win 7 installation and keep all of your personal user account files, settings, and programs

Advertisements

Anomalous

Anomalous

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
My C: drive has been formatted, there is no OS currently on the hard drive.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK then now follow these instructions.
You can go to HERE to read the tutorial by one of the members here on how to do a Fresh Install or Repair Installation of you OS.

Anomalous

Anomalous

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
This is where my problem starts,

I have no OS on this computer right now, when trying to install windows 7 from the CD it freezes. It also freezes in the middle of installing windows XP. This computer is constantly freezing anytime it goes beyond BIOS.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That could indicate several reason for the issue.
Heat
PSU
Mobo
HD
Memory

Is the Win 7 disk authenticate?
Is it holographic?
Do you have a picture of it?
Something is not right either with the disk or the hd is not really formatted. When you started the install did you take out all partitions and then repartition, fresh format using NTFS and then install?
OR did you format possibly a quick format and then install?

Anomalous

Anomalous

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
-My CPU is running at 45C, these problems where occurring when it was running at 36-40C after replacing the thermal compound. Mobo is running at 38-40C.

-I really hope this is not a PSU issue as I had to replace the PSU before on this rig.

-Mobo issue is a possibility but I don't know how to test it out.

-HD passed testing in diagnostics.

-Both sticks of memory where removed while I was trying to fix this problem, also both sticks passed testing.

I purchased the digital download version of Windows 7, I had them burn it onto a disk and send it to me via mail.

I used diskpart in the windows XP recovery console to format my C: drive, I have a second partition that separates my other files from windows that I did not remove.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I purchased the digital download version of Windows 7, I had them burn it onto a disk and send it to me via mail.

OK this bothers me as most of the time a burned copy of any OS comes with problems.
What about the last two questions..did you blow away the first partition and then reset it up formatting it with NTFS?

Anomalous

Anomalous

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Yes I formatted it to NTFS.

I wouldn't write off the problem as the windows 7 CD, because even my windows XP (the dell one) CD that worked before is currently freezing half-way during installation.

Edited by Anomalous, 29 August 2010 - 11:06 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I wouldn't write off the problem as the windows 7 CD, because even my windows XP (the dell one) CD that worked before is currently freezing half-way during installation.

Normally i would say this is either a problem with the memory or the hd.
Being that you have tested both with no problems then I have to look at the installation cd's themselves.

Anomalous

Anomalous

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
I see, well after a few attempts and a couple of freezes, I was able to put XP back onto my computer. I'm on the desktop without any problems so far.

Not sure where this leaves my copy of Windows 7.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Well I was just going to suggest borrowing a Win7 of the same type you got..Home, Pro or Media 32 or 64 bit and try installing it then with the reg key you paid for. If it works then the problem is the burned cd you got.

Anomalous

Anomalous

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Alright well, that didn't last long.

I was on the desktop with no internet connection, I went to upgrade from SP1 to SP2 using a flash drive, during this time the computer restarted. When I tried to get back on I was greeted with the same exact problem I was having before:

Posted Image

This is the screen where it always freezes and/or crashes.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
See my last post.
The same would go if you wanted to use XP again.

Anomalous

Anomalous

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
I managed to get a Windows 7 (64-bit) and Windows XP home installation CD, unfortunately they are both Dell CDs.

When trying to install Windows 7 64-bit it froze quicker than my burned CD of Windows 7.

When I tried installing Windows XP home it acted just like Windows XP pro, on the first couple of tries it froze, and when I eventually got it installed, trying to upgrade to SP2 caused it to freeze and crash, then I was unable to get back on.

4 installation CDs and no luck.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If the system is crashing then there should be a event logged for it.
If you can get into windows itself then do the following and attach the log.
Please follow the steps below to enter the Event Viewer program in XP. This will give me more information into what is causing your issue.

Go to

Start and then click on Run
Type in eventvwr.msc and press Enter
On left side click on Applications On right side look for any RED X about the time of a incident
On left side click on System. On right side look for any Red X about the same time of a incident
Also look for any yellow exclamation mark at the same time in either of the above
If you find any double click on one at a time and take a screenshot.
To take a screenshot click on your Print Screen on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
Now go to Start
All Programs
Accessories
Paint
In the empty white area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop

Include as a attachment in your next reply