Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I think my router is infedected with malware/spyware/adware

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Jaekus

Jaekus

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
I've had this problem that I posted in another thread over a week ago, noone's replied and the situation has changed so I'm starting a new one.

Basically, in Chrome on certain pages it loads, goes blank and then if I click in the blank white page a pop-up appears with the url your-review.net/a/adframe.php. If I open the same page in IE, it loads fine but also opens a new tab with the same url. This occurs for lots of different pages, a few examples are:

talkbass.com (bass guitar forum)
translink.com.au (public transport website for Brisbane, Australia)
geekstogo.com/forum (yes, even this forum)

I thought it was just my computer but last night I hooked up my old PC and thought I would browse pages that I've had problems with. Straight away the same thing occurred, on a computer that hasn't had this problem before. This morning I asked one of my housemates and she said her laptop does the same thing, and another one of our flatmates has the same problem on his computer.

This leads me to think there's an issue with the router. But I have no idea what to do, and can't seem to find much with a google search. A mate of mine who's an IT manager tried for an hour last night to fix it but could not find anywhere on my system it could be, though he could see the script starting up when loading the above mentioned pages.

Please help.

Advertisements

SweetTech

SweetTech

Sir SpamAlot

• Retired Staff
  • 7,671 posts
Hello,

Please let me know how things are running after doing the following:

Router Reset
  • Please read this: Malware Silently Alters Wireless Router Settings

• Consult this link to find out what is the default username and password of your router and note down them: Route Passwords

• Then rest your router to it's factory default settings:

"If your machine has been infected by one of these Zlob/DNSchanger Trojans, and your router settings have been altered, I would strongly recommend that you reset the router to its default configuration. Usually, this can be done by inserting something tiny like a paper clip end or pencil tip into a small hole labeled "reset" located on the back of the router. Press and hold down the small button inside until the lights on the front of the router blink off and then on again (usually about 10 seconds)"

• This is the difficult part.
    First get to the routers server. To do that type http:\\192.168.1.1 in the address bar and click Enter. You get the log in window.
    Fill in the password you have already found and you will get the configuration page.
    Configure the router to allow you to connect to your ISP server. In some routers it is done by a setup wizard. But you have to fill in the log in password your ISP has initially given to you.
    You can also call your ISP if you don't have your initial password.
    Don't forget to change the routers default password and set a strong password. Note down the password and keep it somewhere for future reference.

• Please make sure of the following settings:
    • Go to start => Control panel => Double-click Network and Sharing Center.
    • In the left window select Manage network Connection.
    • In the right window right-click Local Area connection and select Properties .
    • Internet Protocol Version 6 (IP6v) should be checked. Double-click on it: Make sure of the following settings:
    • The option Obtain an IP address automatically should be checked.
    • The option Obtain DNS server address automatically should be checked.
    • Click OK.
    • Internet Protocol Version 4 (IP4v) should be checked. Double-click on it.
    • The option Obtain an IP address automatically should be checked.
    • The option Obtain DNS server address automatically should be checked.
  • Click OK twice.
  • If you should change any setting reboot the computer.

Jaekus

Jaekus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Sorry it's taken a while to reply, I've just been super busy.

We changed our internet plan today and reset the router. It seems to have fixed this issue.

As it turns out after asking everyone, every single computer in the house had the same issue. Since then it appears to have gone.

Thanks for your help, we wouldn't have tried resetting the router without your advice.

SweetTech

SweetTech

Sir SpamAlot

• Retired Staff
  • 7,671 posts
You are more than welcome. I'm glad I was able to be of assistance. :)

SweetTech

SweetTech

Sir SpamAlot

• Retired Staff
  • 7,671 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.