Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Need help securing Netgear WGT624 & MA521

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have a Netgear Router WGT624 with a MA521 wireless PC card for my laptop. My PC (Dell Dimention 4100) was running XP and recently was infected with Win32:Vitro, as well as two other trojans, so I have shut it down and disconnected it. I only have a laptop now and an unsecured network.

Problem #1: When I attempt to connect to I'm prompted to enter username and password. When I tried it this morning, the default username was Server2/Agent. I entered a new username and password and was able to proceed. I wasn't sure what I was supposed to do then, so I closed everything down. Later, I tried to login the same way way, but now keep getting: 401 Unauthorized
Access to this resource is denied; your client has not supplied the correct authentication
I'm entering the same username and password I used this morning, but now it's not working. Can you help me set up or retrieve my username/password?

Problem #2: I want to secure the network from my laptop now since I have active viruses on my PC and have yet to backup all my files before I dare place it online again to run virus scans and try to repair it. I'll need some guidance to properly secure my router/network. I watched a YouTube video on How To Secure a Network and it looked easy, but my screen display looked very different from what was shown on the video.

Can you help me?

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,751 posts
Netgear WGT624 Reset Button

Posted Image

(It's recessed to avoid accidental resets. Use a pen or paperclip to access it).

The default username is admin and the password is either password or 1234.

Netgear.com > Reset and Restore the NETGEAR device to Factory Default Settings

Netgear.com > How to View or Change Your Wireless Network Password

Netgear.com > Securing Your Wireless Network: WPA/WPA2 (Recommended)