Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win XP running super slow

• Please log in to reply

fletch11

fletch11

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
My computer is running super slow - it just grinds and grinds and takes forever for anything to load. I'm pretty sure there are no virus, spyware or malware problems with it. Instead, I think I've got a lot of $#@$%@# running in the background and on startup. When I run msconfig, I see a ton of stuff but I can't tell what should be there and what should not. I run the bare minimums and try to keep my computer as clean as I know how. Before submitting this, I ran TFC. Made a registry backup with Erunt and ran Malwarebytes (no problems). I use Avast! for Antivirus protection. Can you help me figure out what is running in the back ground that shouldn't be? Would very much appreciate your help. Fletch

Advertisements

ohsnap

ohsnap

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
Press Ctrl + Alt + Delete. How many processes are running?

I used this to help me rid of 10+ processes that started up automatically:

http://www.blackvipe.../servicecfg.htm

Download CCleaner, and see what's in your start-up (Tools > Startup). Disable whatever you don't want running.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Please, post some computer info:
- processor type, amount of RAM (hold Windows logo key, hit Pause/Break key)
- hard drive size/free space (open "My Computer", right click on hard drive letter, click "Properties")
- security programs in use (antivirus, firewall)

===============================================================================

Download Autoruns for Windows: http://technet.micro...s/bb963902.aspx
No installation required.
Simply unzip Autoruns.zip file, and double click on autoruns.exe file to run the program.
Go File>Save, and save it as AutoRuns.txt file to know location.
You must select Text from drop-down menu as a file type:

Posted Image

Attach the file to your next reply.

fletch11

fletch11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Thank you for your time. I am attaching the autorun file.
Processor - Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU T7300 @ 2GHz
777MHz, .99Gb RAM
64.1 Gb Used space, 38.6 Gb Free
Avast! - free version
Firewall - Microsoft

Please let me know if you need additional information. I have been monitoring my processes but without knowing what each one does, there is not a lot I can do to clean it up. I've cleaned up everything I know how to -- only running the bare necessities (as far as I know).

Thank you -

Please, post some computer info:
- processor type, amount of RAM (hold Windows logo key, hit Pause/Break key)
- hard drive size/free space (open "My Computer", right click on hard drive letter, click "Properties")
- security programs in use (antivirus, firewall)

===============================================================================

Download Autoruns for Windows: http://technet.micro...s/bb963902.aspx
No installation required.
Simply unzip Autoruns.zip file, and double click on autoruns.exe file to run the program.
Go File>Save, and save it as AutoRuns.txt file to know location.
You must select Text from drop-down menu as a file type:

Posted Image

Attach the file to your next reply.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
You forgot to attach Autoruns file.

fletch11

fletch11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Sorry - I thought it attached - must have done something wrong.

Attached Files

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
If you still have Uniblue RegistryBooster 2009 installed, please, uninstall it. Registry tools are not recommended and here is why: http://miekiemoes.bl...weaking_13.html

Now, you do have a lot of startups.
Some of them can be safely disabled (no actual programs will be removed).
Re-run Autoruns, click on "Logon" tab and UN-check following items:

+ "000StTHK" (up to you - Toshiba Hot key functionality for the function keys (Fn-Esc, Fn-F1 (lock), Fn-F2, Fn-F3, Fn-F4, Fn-F5 (switching between laptop and CRT display output), etc...)
+ "00THotkey" (up to you - For Toshiba Satellite notebook series to use the front buttons, play, stop, next, prev.)
X "Alcmtr"
+ "DDWMon"
+ "HotKeysCmds" (up to you - Installed by the Intel 810 and 815 chipset graphic drivers. If you want the Ctrl+Alt+F12 or similar keypresses to access Intel's customised graphics properties, you need it, otherwise not)
X "HP Software Update"
+ "IAAnotif" (needed only, if you have RAID setup)
X "IgfxTray"
X "iTunesHelper"
X "LanUpdate"
+ "LtMoh" (needed if you're on dial-up)
X "Microsoft Works Portfolio"
X "Microsoft Works Update Detection"
X "MoneyStartUp10.0"
+ "MSConfig"
+ "NDSTray.exe" (up to you - ConfigFreeT Tray on a Toshiba laptop. Tray utility for their network switching application which permits switching network devices and settings with a click on the tray icon. While it is not required, for people who span multiple networks and want an easy way to go from wired to wireless and change addresses and other network settings, it's a must have)
X "Persistence"
X "Pinger"
+ "RemoteControl" (up to you - Remote Control background application for CyberLink's PowerDVD version 5 and above. Enables you to use a remote control with your DVD drive if your drive came with one. Not required if you don't have a remote control, or don't wish to use one)
+ "SmoothView"
+ "TFncKy" (up to you - Deals with the - key combinations on a Toshiba laptop)
+ "TFNF5" (up to you - Toshiba Hotkey Utility for Display Devices. By pressing + , a window appears showing the displays that can be chosen – LCD, LCD + CRT, CRT, TV)
+ "TMESRV.EXE" (up to you - Toshiba utility related to inserting and removing a laptop from a docking station. Not required if you don't use a docking station)
+ "TosHKCW.exe" (up to you - Toshiba Hot Key Change/Control Wireless. Permits you to use a hot key to activate/deactivate built-in 802.11b wireless transmission on a laptop (if installed))
+ "TPSMain" (up to you - Provides access to Power Saver settings on a Toshiba laptop)
X "WorksFUD"
X "Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware" (needed, if you have paid version)
+ "MSMSGS"
X "MSMSGS"
+ "TOSCDSPD" (up to you - Toshiba laptop related. Used to provide an acoustic silencer for the CD drive. If you are playing a music CD, or installing software, and the CD player vibrates noisily, due to a poorly balanced CD, you can invoke this program from the task bar and slow down the player. This results in less or no vibration and therefore less or no noise)
X "Uniblue RegistryBooster 2009"

Restart computer.

When done with sorting the above out...

Download Temp File Cleaner (TFC)
Double click on TFC.exe to run the program.
Click on Start button to begin cleaning process.
TFC will close all running programs, and it may ask you to restart computer.

fletch11

fletch11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Thank you so very much for your time. In regards to Uniblue -- I don't recall installing this and it doesn't show when I try to remove it as a program. Could it be hiding elsewhere on my computer? Can you tell if it is running anything in the background? I do not use it (on purpose).

I went through and made all of the adjustments - thank you for not just listing what I don't need but also explaining why. I also ran TFC. So far so good. I also disabled my Windows automatic updates because I noticed that it was running quite often (even when I wasn't downloading updates). I suppose I'll just check manually from now on.

Is there anything else you can think of for me to uninstall or at least not have running in the background (e.g., I can start it manually)?

Again - thank you for your time. Fletch

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

Can you tell if it is running anything in the background?

As long, as you unchecked "Uniblue RegistryBooster 2009", you should be fine.

I also disabled my Windows automatic updates

That's not very safe idea. It's better to change it to "Notify me....."

I don't see any other possible changes. We disabled as much, as it's safe to disable.

fletch11

fletch11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
thank you

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
You're very welcome Posted Image