Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

external drive problem

• Please log in to reply

philly30

philly30

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
I have a WESTERN DIGITAL external drive connected to my computer. every once in awhile i would disconnect it and when i reconnected it it would show up fine. recently it stopped being recognized by my computer, i am using windows vista. i though the drive died but if i restart the computer with it connected then it shows up. i have a laptop also so i tried connecting and disconnecting it to the laptop and it works fine. i have older western digital drives and they also work fine with both computers. what could be the issue?

Edited by philly30, 29 July 2010 - 09:17 PM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
It could be nothing more than a bad connection with one of the contact points in the USB port. I go thru a lot of SD adapters and USB external drive enclosures and many of them have a hard time connecting with some computers. I have even replaced the USB connectors on some drives to fix the no-connection problems i have with them. Many times connecting directly to the motherboard USB connectors in the back of the computer, instead of the off-board front connectors will cure the problem. They just slowly wear out over time, so you do what you need to do to fix them.

SRX660

philly30

philly30

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
i have it connected to the back , i am totally confused, the drive works fine, it works fine with my laptop, other external drives work fine with this computer.