Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows 7 removal from boot screen

• Please log in to reply

Mise-san

Mise-san

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi everyone!

I need help removing the Windows 7 option from my boot screen. I know there are a lot of posts about this but I didn't find any dealing with my problem. Here's the deal:

I installed win 7 developer build in my second partition. First one has XP installed and running properly. As I found out later win 7 dev build did not run on systems with more than 2 GB RAM but at that point I tried to install it several times without success of course. After formatting my second partition the option to choose win 7 as operating system still appears. It's not a big deal unless I'm not there to choose XP, because after a painfully short time delay (only a few secs) it automatically chooses win 7 and tries to run it, and when it doesn't work out, reboot. I found help at Microsoft support pages but it was only for Vista. Here's a link Win 7 remove. After I researched the same solution in XP I found out it wouldn't be that easy. Here's a copy-paste from my boot.ini:

;
;Warning: Boot.ini is used on Windows XP and earlier operating systems.
;Warning: Use BCDEDIT.exe to modify Windows Vista boot options.
;
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN /FASTDETECT /NOEXECUTE=ALWAYSOFF /USEPMTIMER

If someone can find a problem there I'd be happy to remove any parameters. I'm curious to find a solution since there is nothing referring to Win 7.

Thank you for your help, I'm really eager to get rid of this problem without formatting my first partition.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi Mise-san! Welcome to G2G!

Check out THIS link, and see if that doesn't solve your problem.

Fenor

Mise-san

Mise-san

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for quick answer and help!

Seems like a working solution. Only if I hadn't got rid of the Win 7 developer build image a long time ago.. Well, I guess I will purchase Win 7 after all :)

-Mise

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Wait.

You don't need to buy Windows 7 to get rid of it from the boot screen.

Do you have your Windows XP CD?

Mise-san

Mise-san

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I think I have it somewhere, but it is not a big deal really. I just noticed I also need to buy a new hard drive so it's a good opportunity to install new OS there. Thanks anyway!

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Okay, but if you change your mind, feel free to reply to this topic again, or post a new topic if you encounter problems with a completely new and unrelated issue.

Mise-san

Mise-san

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hmm, more problems occurred. Installation of Windows 7 freezes in the beginning, right after a "Starting Windows"-screen. It seems like the earlier installation of win7 is still a part of my system and the new setup detects it somehow. Trying that trick at the link page doesn't work with the new Windows 7 DVD. It ways "bootsect.exe is not a valid win32-application". Windows XP CD setup requires product key which I don't have anymore. What next? :)

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Can you still boot into Windows XP on that computer?

If so, make sure that you back up everything that you need, and then using the Windows 7 disc, delete the partition and create a new one and then install Windows.

If not, then you will need to take it to a friends house (or a computer store) and connect the hard drive as a slave on his/her/companies computer, so that you can access the drive and backup the files that you need. You may need to take ownership of the files to be able to access and copy them, so follow the instructions on THIS link, and you should be able to.

If you don't need to backup anything, then just do the first thing I said, and that is to delete/create the partition and install Windows 7.

Edited by Fenor, 01 August 2010 - 06:53 AM.

Mise-san

Mise-san

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I can boot to Windows XP. I have backups of everything I need, but the problem is that when I boot from Windows 7 disc, it freezes. So I cannot use the disc to format the partition..

Edited by Mise-san, 02 August 2010 - 03:14 AM.

Mise-san

Mise-san

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I can boot to Windows XP. I have backups of everything I need, but the problem is that when I boot from Windows 7 disc, it freezes. So I cannot use the disc to format the partition, but perhaps with EASEUS Partition master? Should I format my win xp partition and then boot from win7 disc?