Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Fans run; but no display

• Please log in to reply

Panda125

Panda125

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Last weekend I was on my pc, never had any issues with it, and all of a sudden it just shuts off. I smell a slight electrical burning smell so I knew something was wrong; but in order to check I cut the PC on again and the power supply was the one making the smell so it had shorted out or something. So I replaced the PSU and now all the fans turn on but no BIOS nothing on display but all the fans are running (CPU, Case, Video Card, PSU).

So I got antsy and assumed it was the MoBo and had it replaced and the results were the same. I checked to see if the processor had any type of noticeable problems and it did not; The hard drive LED seems to flash red once and then shut off, not sure if that happens every time and I just noticed it or thats its saying something is wrong. Tried to boot with the hard drive disconnected and once again same results. Haven't tested swapping RAM sticks I read that could be the issue or that the new PSU I got could just be a bad replacement (same PSU as before).

Suggestions?

Advertisements

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
It sounds like you either got a bad power supply, or have it installed improperly. Are you sure it's hooked up correctly? A friend of mine tried using the +4 pin connector from the main harness to power the processor when he installed his. :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Fingers crossed it hasn`t but when a psu goes bad it can take other
components with it such as the MB, cpu, ram and add on cards etc.
Does the board require a 4 pin atx plug from the psu, if it does is
it connected securely.
Try removing the ram sticks and see if you get any beeps + have you
got another video card you can try?
Please provide your MB and CPU details, this will enable others to
help you better.
Also worth checking, has your MB got a speaker to be able to hear
any error beeps if you get them!

Edited by phillpower2, 31 July 2010 - 03:19 AM.

Panda125

Panda125

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Fingers crossed it hasn`t but when a psu goes bad it can take other
components with it such as the cpu, ram and add on cards etc.
Does the board require a 4 pin atx plug from the psu, if it does is
it connected securely.
Try removing the ram sticks and see if you get any beeps + have you
got another video card you can try?
Please provide your MB and CPU details, this will enable others to
help you better.
Also worth checking, has your MB got a speaker to be able to hear
any error beeps if you get them!

Yea thats what I feared with the psu, I have some other parts that I can pop in there, I know the MB has a speaker but I dont think I have wired it up; when I try all these tests I will post the results and see where to go from there. Thanks for the quick replies!

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I just had a brand new Tiger direct kit that was doing the same thing. I put it together but got no POST beep and only a blank screen. I replaced the hard drive, memory, power supply,and finally the CPU, before calling the Gigabyte help line. They had me disassemble the puter and with the MB on a cardboard box, try the exact same things i did already.I got a RMA from them for the MB. Sure glad they have a years guarantee on the MB as it took 90 days for me to get to the computer build( buyer had no money for a while).

On every build i have done, except one that had a bad CPU, no POST beep means the Motherboard is dead usually.

SRX660

Panda125

Panda125

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Home from work and tried various tests:

Checked to see if it was an individual RAM stick by just using one of them; tried both; same result
Wanted to use different RAM sticks to see if both went however the other RAM sticks I have wont fit the slot... crap
Wanted to use a different CPU but it also wont fit the slot
Tried a different graphics card that is working... same result
Same video cord was used on my working PC as this one so the cord is fine
DVD drive gets power and opens and closes

The fans all spin; including the CPU fan which is getting its power from the MoBo (Brand new!) and the other fans which are getting it from the PSU(Brand new!); Any who here are the specs of all of the products:

MoBo: EliteGroup P45T-AD3 Black Series
PSU: Antec EA-650 (650 W)
Graphics Card: Radeon HD 4890
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Processor (Not sure if theres a more specific name? Best i can find)
RAM: Patriot G Series PGS34G1600ELKA DDR3 1600 MHZ 4GB (2 sticks)

So that leaves what possibilities for a MoBo not to post when the video card is working?

Burned CPU? (Seemed to be no burn marks or any defects but thats just an eyeballs view)
RAM dead (2 sticks both go bad simultaneously? Can the PSU going bad do that?)
Another bad PSU (Even though I dont get how it would be bad when it gives power fine to all the fans and such, dont have a multimeter to verify)
Another bad MoBo (Who knows at this point)
A random problem I'm not aware of
Or a combination of these things

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
With the MB on a cardboard box, power supply hooked up, one stick of good ram, CPU installed correctly with fan-heatsink hooked up, keyboard hooked up, a monitor hooked up, and a power switch hooked up, do you get any kind of BEEP? You should be able to get to the BIOS with the Delete key while starting. No beep or BIOS screen means one of these are bad. finding out which one means finding people with the correct parts to borrow them from.

SRX660

Panda125

Panda125

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Cardboard test yielded the same result... no POST or beeps. Used 2 different graphics cards as well;

For the MoBo to not make any beeps or display anything(Does the speaker need to be plugged in or is that just for the multiple beep error code); how many parts can be messed up for this to occur? PSU, MoBo, RAM, CPU one or more of these i guess but i just replaced both the MoBo and PSU; my only concern would be if i fried the entire PC. Dont currently have access to other parts so is there other ways i can test these parts and see which one is causing it?

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Next step is to borrow a stick of good correct ram and a processor that will work on that motherboard and see if one or the other of yours is bad. It could possibly be another dead MB but i doubt it, and a new PSU i doubt is bad.

Unfortunately, this motherboard has a 42% bad rating at new egg. You can read the reviews here.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813135230

Quite a few people have a problem with ram timing that causes NO VIDEO.

With as many bad reviews it has i would hesitate to replace the MB with the same exact one. I know it can be frustrating but i would think about a different MB. I always check the reviews at newegg before buying any hardware i have not delt with before.

SRX660

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Yes the speaker needs to be attached to be able to hear any error beeps,
so it needs to be attached when you test the MB with or without the Ram in.
Apart from the Ram the other common denominator whilst you have carried
out the tests is the CPU, either one or both could be fried.
Connect your speaker & power up without the Ram & see if you get any beeps.
Was the replacement MB new? It is not unknown for new items to be bad by
the way.

Advertisements

Panda125

Panda125

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Next step is to borrow a stick of good correct ram and a processor that will work on that motherboard and see if one or the other of yours is bad. It could possibly be another dead MB but i doubt it, and a new PSU i doubt is bad.

Unfortunately, this motherboard has a 42% bad rating at new egg. You can read the reviews here.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813135230

Quite a few people have a problem with ram timing that causes NO VIDEO.

With as many bad reviews it has i would hesitate to replace the MB with the same exact one. I know it can be frustrating but i would think about a different MB. I always check the reviews at newegg before buying any hardware i have not delt with before.

SRX660

Ok I think I am going to re-replace the MoBo (suprisingly the guy from the mobo company told me to do this), but i think I should use a different MoBo; just was curious which one i should get for under $150 with my hardware:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q9400
PSU: Antec-650W (Might replace this as well)
RAM: Patriot 4 GB DDR3 1600Mhz x2
Graphics Card: Radeon 4890 HD (PCI-E)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
This one fits your budget + it has room for upgrades, the reviews are
a bit mixed but if you read them some of the cons are nonsense;
http://www.newegg.co...8-433-_-Product

Edit: Just reading over the thread again I noticed you havn`t tried clearing the BIOS or said if you had tried the set-up without the memory sticks in.
Regardless of these tests I think I would exchange it for another brand after reading the ratings at newegg. (Ouch)

Edited by phillpower2, 05 August 2010 - 06:51 AM.

Panda125

Panda125

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I have cleared the CMOS if that is what your referencing for clearing BIOS.

Havent tried to run w/o RAM sticks I assumed that it wouldnt work without them.

Also, the MoBo you suggested under memory standards doesnt list 1600 Mhz as one is this a problem being the RAM i have is 1600 but it lists 2200.

Edited by Panda125, 05 August 2010 - 07:08 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Havent tried to run w/o RAM sticks I assumed that it wouldn't work without them

It wouldn`t but with the speaker connected and no Ram if you got error beeps it may suggest bad
memory stick/s, no beeps, bad board.
If you click on the specifications tab for the MB in the link it lists FSB 1600/1333/1066/800.

Panda125

Panda125

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
CPU:
FSB 1600/1333/1066/800

Memory:
Memory Standard DDR3 2200 (OC)/1333/1066/800

Is the OC mean overclock for 1600 being the rest of those numbers match up between CPU and Memory?