Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

System Administrator prevents installation

• Please log in to reply

Erichw

Erichw

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
I've tried to install the new Kaspersky Internet Security and Anti-virus programme however each time I try I get the following message:

'Your System Administrator has set policies to prevent this installation..'

I've followed various suggestions online like logging in as Administrator, changing security settings etc. but none has helped so far. This is the case with each programme I try to install and am now stuck without any online protection.

Please could someone assist? Thanks!

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi Erichw! Welcome to G2G!

What operating system are you running? I only ask this, because your error can be caused by having UAC (User Access Control) turned on, but UAC only comes on Windows Vista or Windows 7 machines.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 30 July 2010 - 09:59 AM.

Erichw

Erichw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hi Fenor many thanks!

I run XP Pro.

My current user name has administrator privileges and I have also logged in as the administrator, however no luck.

I'm starting to wonder whether the only way to get rid of this problem is to reinstall Windows?

Hope not as this is a long process...

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Being that it is a Windows XP computer, UAC is not the problem here, but rather security policies set up on the computer. We don't know if you were the one that set up these policies or not, and therefore we here at Geeks To Go are unable to help you with this issue, as it would directly violate the ToS of this site. I hope you understand.

I wish you the best of luck resolving this issue.

Fenor

**EDIT** -- I would like to add that this could possibly be caused by a Malware issue, and that you may want to stop by the Malware Forum and follow all the steps in the Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide .

Edited by Fenor, 30 July 2010 - 02:55 PM.

Erichw

Erichw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
OK I understand and thanks for the help anyway. In the 6 years of owning my pc it has never done this before until I disabled the username login prompt (think this was the cause).

Cheers!

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
That is very possible. I would try undoing that change and rebooting the computer and see what happens. Otherwise, checking out the Malware Forum can't hurt either, because after that there really is only one option left: Format & Reinstall.