Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

AMD Athlon64 4400+ ×2 Core Failure.

• Please log in to reply

IO-error

IO-error

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
Hi all.

For the Volunteers at this site: This is no high-priority case.

I was wondering what this error code means.
It showed up a few days ago after the system stalled again.

The point is, my system stalls for no obvious reason for the last 2 years already.
I did a full check-up at the computer store where I work and discovered that it is the PSU of 400 watts.
Did multiple calculations at different calculation sites and they all point to about 450-500 watts minimum requirement.

The processor has always had problems, i.e. it wasn't running at the same speed and it didn't use all of his transistors.
I could tell that, because some programs had an average CPU-usage of 10% on one core and 15% on the bad core.
And yes, I did put affinity on only core at a time, of course.

So my guess is, those frequent stalls of the PSU, finally caused the bad core to fail.
Still, I'd like to get some idea of what exactly went wrong, as AMD doesn't seem to have a public report for these error messages.

Greets
IO-Error

PS
The screenshots are in Dutch, so here are some translations:
Screenshot 1: Probleemcode - ErrorCode
Screenshot 2: Dit apparaat start niet - This device does not start

**EDIT***
Something else came to mind.
Can I just turn the device off? Or will that turn off the other core as well?
I'm asking this, because the core is still eating it's 40 watts of juice, even though it's not performing.
(and yes, I can proof both statements, it's still eating and doesn't function.)

Attached Thumbnails

• ErrorCode.jpg
  • dualcorebusted.jpg

Edited by IO-error, 30 July 2010 - 09:29 AM.

Advertisements