Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My computer lost audio after installation of a graphics card...

• Please log in to reply

DihydrogenMonoxide

DihydrogenMonoxide

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hi, I am currently typing this and it feels like I'm living in a black and white movie...I have absolutely no audio

How did this come about? I have no idea, maybe you could help me discover that and fix it? That would be awesome if you could

Okay, a little back story. Audio was working fine 15 minutes ago, when I excitedly came home with a new Geforce 210 1024MB DDR2 High def pci-e graphics card. Installed this beaut including all the drivers, works like a dream... but what's this?

no audio!

Searched in sounds and audio drivers...
"no audio device"
"no playback devices"
"no recording devices"
"no midi devices"

and under Hardware it states for Audio codecs, Legacy Audio Drivers, Media Control Devices, Video Codecs, etc...

"Manufacturer: (Standard system devices)
Device Status: this device is working properly.

I am absolutely stumped, I don't know why all of a sudden my audio devices/drivers are not being picked up...

Can anyone please try to shed some light on this for me? I am nearly positive I didn't break anything inside my computer as it was a simple install into my pci-e slot

System stats by the way if this helps...

Windows XP service pack 2
2.8ghz dual core
4gb ddr2 667mhz ram

If any more info is needed, please tell me and I will gladly provide it.

Thank you so so much for your continued wonderful help at this site, from this horribly untechnical being stuck in a silent movie called life.

~Alex

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Which device provides the audio please.
Separate card or integrated on the motherboard.
Details please.

DihydrogenMonoxide

DihydrogenMonoxide

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
sorry, I don't entirely know how to find that out. I do remember seeing AC97 before referring to audio but I believe it was inbuilt into the motherboard.

If there is a way to find that out for definite though I will definitely do it to help the process

Thank you so much for replying to me by the way

~Alex

edit : did a little search on google, I don't know whether Realtek AC97 audio is inbuilt to motherboard or a seperate card however...sorry I can't be any more helpful

edit 2: looks like it's built into my motherboard

Edited by DihydrogenMonoxide, 30 July 2010 - 02:09 PM.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Reinstall the sound drivers.

DihydrogenMonoxide

DihydrogenMonoxide

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Reinstall the sound drivers.

I am sorry for being an absolute newb when it comes to this, and it may be very simple to do but I don't see how to reinstall the realtek ac97 audio drivers. I have looked at control panel > sound and audio devices, but I see no option there, I have tried in device manager and see no option apart from 'Update driver' which finishes up with a dialog box saying 'no better driver could be found'.

Could you please help me with a step by step guide of how to do this, as I am completely stumped :)

Thank you,

~Alex

edit: I have downloaded the realtek ac97 drivers and installed them, restarted, and the same is happening. I have 0 sound, my realtek internal soundcard isn't being picked up at all, yet it says the drivers are up to date.

I am going to go spare, can anyone please help with this?

Thank you so so much if you can! Detailed help would be really nice, treat me like I'm the dumbest person you've ever met please

~Alex

Edited by DihydrogenMonoxide, 30 July 2010 - 04:23 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Enter setup on first post, usually by tapping F2 or delete, check that onboard sound is enabled. Probably listed as "Audio Device" enable.
If you post the make and model of your motherboard I will check the bios setup.
An alternative is to use system restore to a date - yesterday if available, just before you installed the graphics.
If this works, note the details of the audio and the exact details of the driver etc.
Then when that is working, create the restore point and then reinstall the graphics.
At least then we know exactly what audio you have and can advise further.

System restore instructions
http://www.microsoft...ew_03may19.mspx

Edited by Macboatmaster, 30 July 2010 - 05:41 PM.

DihydrogenMonoxide

DihydrogenMonoxide

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Enter setup on first post, usually by tapping F2 or delete, check that onboard sound is enabled. Probably listed as "Audio Device" enable.
If you post the make and model of your motherboard I will check the bios setup.
An alternative is to use system restore to a date - yesterday if available, just before you installed the graphics.
If this works, note the details of the audio and the exact details of the driver etc.
Then when that is working, create the restore point and then reinstall the graphics.
At least then we know exactly what audio you have and can advise further.

System restore instructions
http://www.microsoft...ew_03may19.mspx

Thank you so so much for your help...that sparked me to check BIOS, and I noted the option has been changed, so I changed the onboard audio from 'auto' to 'enabled/on' and it worked like a charm

Have a great night everyone and thank you so so much for all your wonderful help!! Keep up the awesome work <3333

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Enter setup on first post, usually by tapping F2 or delete, check that onboard sound is enabled. Probably listed as "Audio Device" enable

That is what I was suggesting. I am pleased it is fixed and thanks for taking the trouble to come back with the appreciation.
There are far too many people asking for help on this site and not even bothering to reply when it is then offered.

DihydrogenMonoxide

DihydrogenMonoxide

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Enter setup on first post, usually by tapping F2 or delete, check that onboard sound is enabled. Probably listed as "Audio Device" enable

That is what I was suggesting. I am pleased it is fixed and thanks for taking the trouble to come back with the appreciation.
There are far too many people asking for help on this site and not even bothering to reply when it is then offered.

You are more than welcome, thanks should be given where it is deserved. I am so sorry also if it seemed like I was claiming it was I who thought of the idea not yourself, it was your advice that lead me to the fix, so thank you!

Out of wondering by the way, I would be interested in learning and giving back to this board in the same way I was given to tonight, and to give others that wonderful feeling I got when my problem was fixed after 6 hours of struggling by myself, by a fantastic team of volunteers. How do you go about that, like do they teach you extra things to help out others with if you volunteer? (I must admit, I can barely help myself with matters like this right now but I am hungry to learn after this)

Thanks

Alex

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
NO apology is necessary, I was just so pleased you took the trouble to say thanks.
You simply find a post in XP on the forums tab, with NO replies, have a look, see if you think you can help and if so post your suggestion.
Read the rules first.
You are not allowed to advise on Malware.
The forum will NOT offer help on lost passwords or getting round that problem as we have no way of knowing that it is a genuine bona fide use.
Neither must you ofer any help with unlicensed or the improper use of licensed software.
Its all in the rules.
Hope you enjoy yourself.
I also work on Tech Support Guy.
Its a great way of increasing your knowledge and quite satisfying when you solve the more complex problems.
All the best.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 31 July 2010 - 04:28 PM.