Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't get my Gateway Restoration System Cd to work

• Please log in to reply

davrod

davrod

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Can anyone PLEASE??help me? I have 2 comps, Gateway desktop(not working) and a Compac Presario desktop(working). I got a “windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt windows/system32/config/system” message on my Gateway pc. I couldn’t get pass this so I took the hard drive out and put it as a master on my Compac. It wouldn’t read their own Gateway Restoration System Cd so I use an old EMachines recovery disks(1,2 & 3) as a last option and when I put the hard drive back into the Gateway it promps me to press F11 to start recovery after I do The Emachines screen comes on with the recovery options -Non-Destructive System Restore(recommended) or
Full System restore(destructive). When I press the Non-destructive option it goes through the phases of transferring or restoring Windows XP. It then asks me to restart. When I do I get the same “press F11 to start recovery”. Can anyone tell me how to properly install my Gateway restoration cd

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
A gateway restore cd is specific to the gateway.
A emachines restore cd is specific to a emachines.
A compaq restore cd is specific to a compaq.

You can't mix and match. It does not work.
You can't mix drives between other brands either.
You have probably wiped out the recovery partition on the gateway (if there was one) by using the emachines cd.

I assume that you have a gateway recovery cd. The normal procedure is to boot from the cd.
Have you tried booting from the cd?
Have you gone into bios and changed the boot order?