Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CHKDSK issue

• Please log in to reply

jeradkays

jeradkays

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi all, I was here before and got some help recently with my laptop. Thanks for the help it works great.

This time I am getting problems with my Desktop. I hardly use it, I just let me kids use it to play games. I have all kinds of parental permissions and no one can install anything with out my password...which they dont get obviously )

So here is the problem, forever now, every time I start up the computer it runs CHKDSK and says this or something similar:

Checking file system on C:
The type of file system is NTFS Volume label is ACER
One of your disks needs to be checked for consistency. You may cancel the disk check but it is strongly recommended that you continue (by the way my keyboard is disabled every time so i couldnt cancel it if I wanted to and when the chkdsk is done i have to unplug my usb keyboard and replug it in to turn it on)

CHKDSK is veryfying file (stage 1 of 3)
Deleting corrupt attribute recird (122, "")
from file record segment 148431

-----

I get this every time. And sometimes when my kids are logged in if I switch user, when I login to my admin account the whole profile is gone and it is like a guest account...new background and everything. So I have to reboot to get my profile back and go through the CHKDSK again. It ends up dumping memory from different number strings one time. And then it loads windows and starts up.

My system is:

Acer, Aspire M5640 - Intel® Pentium® Dual CPU E2200 @ 2.20 GHz
Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 (32-bit)
The computer is about3 years old I guess.
I have 4 Gigs of RAM

I have two hard drives
C: - total 228 Gigs (49.6 free)
D: - total 227 Gigs (183 free)

Any help is appreciated.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello jeradkays...

Try running the full disk check from an elevated command prompt.

Click the Start Orb, then All Programs, then Accessories...right click on Command Prompt and choose "Run as Administrator".

In the Command Session window that opens, type chkdsk /r and press Enter. When you are told that the volume is busy, type Y and press Enter. Type exit and press Enter.

Reboot the machine and let the full disk check run to completion...it may take quite a while.

Once you are back into Windows, reboot again and see if the disk check still runs on it's own.

wannabe1

jeradkays

jeradkays

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
It doesn't let me get to the full chkdsk. I have tried about 5 times now. I follow the steps but once I reboot it does the same thing. Deletes an attribute once then loads windows.

Same thing everytime.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Open an elevated command session again, type fsutil dirty query c: and press Enter. Does the system drive report that it is "dirty"?

Type exit and press Enter to quit the command session.

jeradkays

jeradkays

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Open an elevated command session again, type fsutil dirty query c: and press Enter. Does the system drive report that it is "dirty"?

Type exit and press Enter to quit the command session.

Yes. it said volume C: is Dirty

jeradkays

jeradkays

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Now every couple of logins I get a blue screen that says there is a registry error and it dumps physical memory. Then it reboots and does a quick chkdsk again.

ok i did the sfc /scnnow as well and it found dirty dirty evilness. however, i cant open my cbs.log because access is denied

Edited by jeradkays, 02 August 2010 - 03:57 PM.

jeradkays

jeradkays

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
sorry I know bumping a thread is not nice but it's been about 5 days since I got a reply so I wanted to check back in. Sorry in advance.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hey mate, I see your Waiting Room log so I will close it for you. Also I will let wannabe1 know this topic is still continuing in case he has any further input.

My suggestion, have you tried running a full hard drive diagnostic? If the hard drive is failing then that could account for why you are having CHKDSK issues. If you need further assistance in how to run a diagnostic let me know.

Regards,

Troy

jeradkays

jeradkays

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thanks or your help. I don't know if I should make a new thread. It's the same computer but the problem has escalated.

Basically I ran CHKDSK and a handful of times and ran into other issues. Memory dumps, start up repairs, etc. Things just kept getting worse and worse.

So now I am trying to just reformat and reload windows. That doesn't work. I tried to reinstall windows and it got all kinds of errors and wouldnt continue. I've gone through so many things that I have basically gone and ran DBAN because every time I tried to repair or have a fresh install of windows Xp or vista. I would et errors with it not loading drivers so I would load drivers via a thumbstick from the aver site. Then it would let me load windows and pit in my key and start installing. Finally giving an error that the file is unreadable or corrupt with some number like 0x00800716 or something similar.

Now I ran DBAN which the newest version would fail. I had to go get am older version. 1.0.7 I think and it finally worked after 3 tries. But still can't install windows. I get the same problem even after nuking my hard drive.

I'm out of options I know of and close to saying screw it and just buying new HDs.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Okay right now there are two things I would do on the machine.

1) Run a memory diagnostic for at least two passes - using memtest86+
2) Run a hard drive diagnostic utility direct from the manufacturer for each hard drive in the machine. CHKDSK and DBAN are good tools but neither are actually diagnostics.

Let me know how these both go and the results, or if you need assistance in running the diagnostics.

Regards,

Troy

Oh and P.S. don't make another new thread! I'm already following you here. We'll get it. :)

Edited by Troy, 16 August 2010 - 05:26 AM.

jeradkays

jeradkays

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Sorry was on a quick trip to DC for work. Can you explain how to do those things please just to make sure I get it right.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Memory:

http://www.geekstogo...sing-memtest86/

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Sorry mate, I forgot the hard drives as well. The link below should help greatly, basically the best way to do it is the same way as the memory diagnostic, create a bootable cd and run the diagnostic by booting off the disc.

http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287

jeradkays

jeradkays

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Ok thanks. I'll give it a shot soon. Busy going to court and crap but as soon as I have the chance I'm going to give it a shot