This is what happened:
I have two sound cards in my desktop computer - one is the on-board Realtek audio on my Asus P5Q Pro motherboard, the other is an M-Audio Delta 2496 Audiophile PCI card. Till now I have had the on-board Realtek disabled and have exclusively used my M-Audio PCI sound card. But now I have decided to have both cards enabled since the M-audio card has only RCA outputs and I would like to use the onboard Realtek card for using Skype, GoogleTalk, etc.
Here are the steps I took:
In Device Manager I selected the Realtek Audio Device and selected: Enable. Although status changed to ENABLED there was a yellow explanation point. So I figured I had to reinstall the driver.
I went to the ASUS download page for the P5Q PRO Motherboard (Windows XP). This is the page: http://support.asus....SLanguage=en-us
And I downloaded the first in the list: Version 184.108.40.20659/220.127.116.11
I unpacked the .zip file and ran the exe file. Then I restarted... but now my computer won't boot. It says it can't recognize my hard drive.
Checking now on my laptop I noticed that the driver I had downloaded is for 64bit (i think). It seems I should have downloaded and installed the next on the list: 18.104.22.16857/22.214.171.124
One other thing I did - When my computer wouldn't boot up it brought me to a kind of set up page. it gave me some options: A) set up bios B) go to boot configuration C) set bios to default.
I selected C.
I thought this might restore things to how they were, but it didn't help.
The current situation is that when I restart my computer this is what happens:
1. I get some text saying: EXPRESS GATE
2. Then is says Error 8C000002. Express Gate is not installed on your system or installation is not complete.... (didn't have time to copy the rest, it flashes for just two seconds).
3. Then the ASUS P5Q PRO Motherboard splash screen comes up with some options at the bottom of the screen for going to Bios setup and so on
4. Then a message in system text comes up that says: Marvel 88SE61xx Adapter. Bios version 1.1.0.L7od Initializing...
5. The this message comes up: Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key.
Of all these messages and screens only the ASUS P5Q PRO Motherboard splash screen is normal when booting up my computer. All other messages are new due to the current situation.
I'm running Windows XP Pro 32bit
Edited by adifrank, 31 July 2010 - 05:04 AM.