Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I think I accidently installed XP 64bit audio driver and now computer

• Please log in to reply

adifrank

adifrank

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
Ok. Thanks for the reply!

Now that I've reset the BIOS by removing battery from motherboard AND re-installed Windows XP.

I realize now that I need to re-install drivers.

I found the page to download drivers for my motherboard ASUS P5Q PRO - HERE

So I've downloaded them with my laptop (cuz network driver on desktop not installed yet). I'll copy them over to my desktop and install them. Two questions:

1. Is there any particular order in which these should be installed?
2. Should I install BIOS updates from this page? All the warnings about updating BIOS are kind of intimidating....

Thanks for all the help!

Advertisements

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
1. Just make sure you install the chipset first. Everything else it doesnt matter.
2. BIOS updates now are safe for the most part, as they just run as an .exe from Windows and reboot as opposed to a .bin file from DOS. Of course, there is always the risk of bricking the board. What, if any changes would take place in an upgrade? If there arent any, then no need to fix something that isnt broken.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Do not update the BIOS unless you have a very good reason to do so. Bios update failure can mean a dead motherboard.

adifrank

adifrank

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
ok. thanks!
will ignore the bios updates and will only install drivers - starting with chipset. i'll report back once all is up and running normally (hopefully...).

adifrank

adifrank

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
I'm pretty sure I've installed all essential drivers - chipset, Nvidia Geforce graphics card, LAN driver, SATA driver, AUDIO driver.

Yet I'm still getting one yellow question mark in Device Managers.

What could be missing? Any ideas?

adifrank

adifrank

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
Hi people.
I had Windows booting up normally again, after a clean re-install. I spent the day installing all my software. I also got rid of that Express Gate error by disabling Express Gate in BIOS.

I then re-connected my data drives - which were disconnected throughout the process so not to damage them.

It seemed like everything was going to be fine... but no.

Now I've run into some other problem. Frankly, I feel like it is somehow not connected to the other problems I've been dealing with till now and it seems more of a hardware issue.

So in order to try and keep things organized - I started a new thread describing this new problem in the hardware forum - HERE

Having involved you guys with my prior difficulties leading up to this point, I thought it might be a good idea to let you know of this new problem - involving my screen not getting signal.

Thanks!

:)