Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Can't boot safe mode, checkdisk not working

• Please log in to reply

la_z_boy

la_z_boy

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hello,

I can't seem to get safe mode to launch, when I do the usual routine of holding F8 and then selecting safe mode, I can see dos trying to launch a series of different drivers, but it then stops and says "press esc to skip ----" (whichever driver it's trying to load). It then simply hangs there in eternity, not doing anything, and swearing and crying won't help.

A similar problem, perhaps unrelated, is that when I run chkdsk,the computer reboots as normal, gets to the blue screen where it normally begins checking the hard drive, seems to start checking, but then promptly skips this and goes straight into loading windows XP.

Finally, perhaps also unrelated, I use AVG and everytime I run a scan, whether fast or full scan, it scans for about 3 minutes and then reboots my computer. I tried installing the latest version; no such luck.

I'm wondering if all of these are related, but if not, I would argue that the most important issue for me is not being able to boot safe mode, or check the disk.

Any suggestions!?

Many thanks

Edited by la_z_boy, 31 July 2010 - 03:26 PM.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Please advise what problems are you trying to solve by booting to safe mode. Safe Mode is not an end to itself.

Can you boot to normal mode? If yes, is the computer stable? If you can, then most repair functions will work from there and no need for safe mode.

We will deal with AVG latter.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
I don't believe you are in safe mode. Safe mode does not give you a choice to skip a driver.
Also you tap F8 during boot to get to the choices.
You choose "safe mode", or "last known good configuration" from there.

la_z_boy

la_z_boy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Please advise what problems are you trying to solve by booting to safe mode. Safe Mode is not an end to itself.

Can you boot to normal mode? If yes, is the computer stable? If you can, then most repair functions will work from there and no need for safe mode.

We will deal with AVG latter.

I actually just want to get into safe mode to try installing a game that keeps giving an error (Starcraft II, I hear other Blizzard releases give similar problems). Partially I would just like to be able to have safe mode running.
Yes, I can boot to normal mode and it is stable. Like I said the problem is simply that upon tapping F8, then selecting safe mode from the options, DOS just starts showing me successive lines of different files being booted/loaded, freezing upon a certain driver (I forget which). Normally safe mode should just launch quickly and automatically, but here it can't seem to get past some kind of DOS stuff.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I have seen that quite often. To force the computer to boot in safe mode I forcibly shut the computer twice by pressing the power button long enough. Upon second or third reboot all boot options show up. This is quite an aggressive and certainly not recommended way to deal with a computer but sometimes this is your only option.

la_z_boy

la_z_boy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

I have seen that quite often. To force the computer to boot in safe mode I forcibly shut the computer twice by pressing the power button long enough. Upon second or third reboot all boot options show up. This is quite an aggressive and certainly not recommended way to deal with a computer but sometimes this is your only option.

Just to let you know, I get all boot options right now, that's not the problem; the problem is that once I've selected safe mode it won't boot up, I just get lines of DOS code about loading such and such drivers (.sys files I think?). I will try your method nonetheless though.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
My method will not take you any further so, please, don't use it). If you have XP installation CD place in the CD drive and type Start > Run. At the dialog box type sfc /scannow (space before /) and press Enter. Windows will look for missing or damaged system files and will replace them if needed. Let the process run to the end at which the dialog box just disappear.

la_z_boy

la_z_boy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Actually I don't have the XP installation CD, is there a workaround for this?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
If possible borrow one of the same version that is installed in your computer. Windows repair options become very limited without the CD.