Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Wireless mouse and keyboard

• Please log in to reply

misterc

misterc

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hi all,

I'll try and keep this short and simple.

DESCRIPTION OF PROBLEM & WHAT I'VE TRIED

I have a no-name wireless mouse & keyboard combination (USB Composite device) which works great when I start the PC up.

However when I put my PC on standby and then waken it up again the mouse & keyboard do not respond and I have to remove and replace the USB 'transmiter/receiver' stick, to get them working again. I've tried all USB ports with & and without other devices in other ports but they still do not respond after wake up.

When I enable device under 'power management' to bring computer out of standby they work BUT I suspect it only puts my PC into S1 standby due to the fact that the fans are still running while on standby.

I have also checked under 'device manager'and noticed that the USB Composite device power capabilities only goes as far as PDCAP_WAKE_FROM_D2_SUPPORTED. I take it if it was D3 supported they would work after coming out of a D3 standby.

MY QUESTIONS
If D3 refers to the S3 standby level, is there anything I can configure that will make the composite device PDCAP_WAKE_FROM_D3_SUPPORTED?

Is there anything I can configure to enable device/s to put/bring PC into/out of S3 standby?
Has anyone got a wireless mouse/keyboard set that DOES work when coming out of a normal standyby?....(if so what have you got?...cos I want one too :)

Many thanks in advance, misterc.

Edited by misterc, 01 August 2010 - 03:44 AM.

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts
Which Operating System and Version (Service Pack [SPn])?

misterc

misterc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Which Operating System and Version (Service Pack [SPn])?

Hi...forgot about that sry.

Windows XP Home edition 2002 SP3

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP

Has anyone got a wireless mouse/keyboard set that DOES work when coming out of a normal standyby?..

Yes. I have MS and Logitech on 3 different Win7 computers and have no problems waking up my systems.

Check your motherboard manual for the BIOS settings for the "Wake on Mouse" and "Wake on Keyboard" commands. They need to be enabled.

misterc

misterc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Has anyone got a wireless mouse/keyboard set that DOES work when coming out of a normal standyby?..

Yes. I have MS and Logitech on 3 different Win7 computers and have no problems waking up my systems.

Check your motherboard manual for the BIOS settings for the "Wake on Mouse" and "Wake on Keyboard" commands. They need to be enabled.

:) Thanks for your reply....next question is, how to I get into my BIOS to check/change these settings. I've heard about pressing F1 or something but some step by step pointer would be greatly appreciated as I've never been into BIOS.

Many thanks in advance. Misterc

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP

how to I get into my BIOS to check/change these settings

Depends on the computer. Some use F1 some use the Del key. If you watch the boot process, you should see the prompt. I suggest you look in your user manual.