Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

setting up printer on new(to me) XP computer.

• Please log in to reply

claude4444

claude4444

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Trying to setup printer on a new (to me) XP computer. Got error message"The print spooler service is not running." Now what! Help!

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi claude4444! Welcome to G2G!.

Click on START-->RUN and type services.msc and hit ENTER.

In the new window that appears, scroll down until you see PRINT SPOOLER.

What is the STATUS And STARTUP TYPE for Print Spooler?

Edited by Fenor, 01 August 2010 - 07:35 AM.

claude4444

claude4444

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Hi claude4444! Welcome to G2G!.

Click on START-->RUN and type services.msc and hit ENTER.

In the new window that appears, scroll down until you see PRINT SPOOLER.

What is the STATUS And STARTUP TYPE for Print Spooler?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Seems like you accidentally forgot to include your responses to my questions in your previous post. Could you please post again? Thanks!

claude4444

claude4444

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Fenor, Many thanks. I did as you said and found what you said would be there. I clicked on start and now status is "started". Do not know the start up type for print spooler. Again many thanks. Claude4444

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts

Fenor, Many thanks. I did as you said and found what you said would be there. I clicked on start and now status is "started". Do not know the start up type for print spooler. Again many thanks. Claude4444

The STARTUP TYPE is listed right in there.. It will say either AUTOMATIC, MANUAL or DISABLED. You want to make sure it says AUTOMATIC.

Once you have it set to Automatic, then try setting up the Printer again.

claude4444

claude4444

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Seems like you accidentally forgot to include your responses to my questions in your previous post. Could you please post again? Thanks!

Fenor, Saw your second post and will check on start up type and be sure it is on automatic. Hope you get this message. Not sure of what I am doing on G2G yet. Hope I never have to get too good.(grin) Thanks again. Claude4444

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Sounds good. Let me know how the installation of the Printer goes. :)

claude4444

claude4444

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Sounds good. Let me know how the installation of the Printer goes. :)

claude4444

claude4444

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Fenor,

I got the printer to print but not what I wanted. There is a glitch! Must leave my play toy (computer)
now. The wife wants to go with me. We are married 37 years today and well........ I should be able to
get back to the printer Tuesday. Thank you and I will keep you posted. Thanks to you I have a chance
now. Claude4444

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Well Happy 37th Anniversary! You two enjoy today and get back to me when you can! :)