Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't "see" USB Disk Drive?

• Please log in to reply

Greg135

Greg135

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hey there,

A few weeks ago, I successfully connected my external USB backup disk drive to my HP laptop.

I tried to do the same thing yesterday and although the disk drive is connected I can't see it or navigate the contents. I can connect the same drive to another PC running XP.

On my HP laptop I'm running Vista Business Service pack 2, 32 bit opsys
Intel Core 2 Duo CPU 2.4GHz, memory = 2GB,

Please help as this drive contains all my laptop backups etc....

Just also wanted to mention that I can connect a variety of devices to the exact same USB slot on the laptop as follows:
- printer
- 3 different USB sticks
- Mobile connect card

Any ideas?

Regards

Greg

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
It could be the PC has 'forgotten' to assign a drive-letter to the external drive. Same thing happened to me when I started using external drives, but after correcting the problem by manually assigning an unused drive-letter it has never given me any trouble since then.

Control Panel (classic view) --> Administrative Tools --> Computer Management --> Disk Management.

In the bottom pane where the disk volumes are represented by horizontal bars, you should see a bar which has no volume name or drive letter. This will be your external drive, and because it has no drive-letter you can't see it in Windows Explorer. What you need to do is right-click that bar and choose "Change drive letters and paths". Click the "Change" button. Now choose a letter from the drop-down list, then click 'OK'.

Greg135

Greg135

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

It could be the PC has 'forgotten' to assign a drive-letter to the external drive. Same thing happened to me when I started using external drives, but after correcting the problem by manually assigning an unused drive-letter it has never given me any trouble since then.

Control Panel (classic view) --> Administrative Tools --> Computer Management --> Disk Management.

In the bottom pane where the disk volumes are represented by horizontal bars, you should see a bar which has no volume name or drive letter. This will be your external drive, and because it has no drive-letter you can't see it in Windows Explorer. What you need to do is right-click that bar and choose "Change drive letters and paths". Click the "Change" button. Now choose a letter from the drop-down list, then click 'OK'.

Thanks for taking the time to respond Phillip,

I will follow your directions when I get home later and report back...
Have a great day...

Regards

Greg

Greg135

Greg135

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hey Phillip,

Thanks for the solution.....problem solved!!!!
What a relief....

Thanks again.

Regards

Greg