Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow on start up but fine otherwise

• Please log in to reply

tmanofctown

tmanofctown

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Greetings. For about the last two years my computer has had this little problem where on average it takes about 5 minuets to boot up after the windows log in screen. I've been able to dismiss it for the longest time but now its getting to be really annoying and I just about can't take it anymore. I've spent the last hour and a half coming around, trying to find a solution but I can find a general fix so I figured I should get some personal help. I've tried things like deleting temp files, defraging, cleaning up my registry, unchecking programs I don't need on start up with msconfig...but none if it makes a difference. Its as slow on the star up as ever. Any and all help wold be greatly appreciated.

Some brief info about my system specs, 2 gigs of ram, CPU clocks in at 4.40 GHz.

Edited by tmanofctown, 01 August 2010 - 10:47 AM.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi tmanofctown! Welcome to G2G!

What Anti-Virus/Security software do you have installed? It sounds to me like it might almost be doing a 'startup scan' and that is what could be taking so long.

Also, you said you have unchecked programs you don't need to start up. What programs were these, and what programs have you left checked (aka allowed to still startup with the computer)?

tmanofctown

tmanofctown

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for the quick reply.

For anti-virus software I'm running Norton, along with regular scans with Malwarebytes. I do believe Norton runs quick scans on start up but they shouldn't take 5 five minuets. And as for msconfig I've uncheched everything except for Norton, Extender Resource Monitor, and anything having to do with rundll32. Something else I'm not sure about is that my computer usually has 60-70 processes running at all times, although they don't seem to put any strain on my CPU. Like I said, the problem is isolated only to the start up.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
You would be surprised just how long Norton's startup scan can take. Try disabling that scan and then rebooting the computer and see how things are.

Edited by Fenor, 01 August 2010 - 11:36 AM.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Also, please download SINO by Artellos.

Save SINO to a place you can remember and run SINO.exe.
Then please check the following checkboxes:

• System Info
  • Services
  • Boot Check
  • Tasklist
  • Startup Items
  • Event Log
You can leave the 'BBCode' box checked as well, as it will make what appears in the Notepad file more Forum friendly when you paste it in to your reply.

Once checked, hit the Run Scan! button and wait for the program to finish the scan.

A notepad window will pop up. Please copy all of the content into your next reply.

Note: If you try to interact with the program once it’s started scanning it might appear to hang. The scan however will continue.

Edited by Fenor, 01 August 2010 - 11:51 AM.

tmanofctown

tmanofctown

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hmm, I can't find any option to turn off the start up scan. I'm not going to worry about it at the moment though for I have already spent way too much time on the computer trying to sort out this one thing. I'll be back at it tomorrow

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Also as a FYI

cleaning up my registry,

. Please do not muck in the registry.
It serves no useful purpose other than a possibly destroying the registry and making the computer a brick.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts

Also as a FYI

cleaning up my registry,

. Please do not muck in the registry.
It serves no useful purpose other than a possibly destroying the registry and making the computer a brick.

Very true.

I don't like registry cleaners myself, as they normally cause more harm than good, but in this case, the startup was already slow before the registry cleaning was done, so it wasn't a cause of this issue.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts

Hmm, I can't find any option to turn off the start up scan.

I would try disabling Norton completely then and rebooting the computer. Of course don't do anything on the computer once it is booted up as you will be unprotected. Then re-enable Norton and reboot the computer, and then post about how the startup went with Norton disabled.

I'm not going to worry about it at the moment though for I have already spent way too much time on the computer trying to sort out this one thing. I'll be back at it tomorrow

I understand. Computer's can be 'fun' to say the least when things go wrong. Post back when you have time, and I will be notified via email that you replied to this post.