Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Numbered and sorted audio clips in folder keep being mixed up

• Please log in to reply

michaelv03

michaelv03

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi

I have a very annoying, but hopefully easily resolved issue.
I have 40 short audio clips in a folder. I have sorted them in in order from 1- 40.
There is no 'save' button or anything like that, so after I sorted the audio files in order in that folder, I left the folder only to go back in and find them all mixed up again...and not at all how I left them.
There are of course different ways to 'view' the files in a folder. However, whichever way I try, they always end up being totally mixed up again.

This is a real problem as I will need to zip this folder and send it to someone. When they open, unzip and download this folder, I want it to be in perfect order, counting up from 1- 40.

Please let me know if you have any idea how to fix this issue.

Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi michaelv03! Welcome to G2G!

Windows stores files in a predetermined way, like you said, so you really can't order them anyway but those ways. Which would be alphabetical, by size, by date, etc.

The only way you can make a list your own way, is to put like say '1 - ', '2 - ', ... , 'x -' in front of each of the file names. Meaning you rename the files and add that stuff to the front of the file(s).

michaelv03

michaelv03

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Stop! Just found the solution to the problem:

If anyone else comes upon this issue, in the folder go to 'view' and then 'arrange icons by'. It then gives you all the optons how you want to sort it and it will stay sorted as well!

michaelv03

michaelv03

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thank you Fenor!!

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts

Thank you Fenor!!