Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Touch pad issues

• Please log in to reply

kittiekat414

kittiekat414

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
When I went to bed last night, it worked fine. When I started my comp up this morning, i had mega issues with my router, like usual, but once I sorted that out and went online, my touch pad wouldn't scroll. I checked the hardware device area in the control panel, and it says it is working fine. I have a Compaq Presario CQ60 if that helps. Thanks so much, it's rather annoying!

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts

i had mega issues with my router, like usual

Why would you have major issues with a router? They either work very well or are just bad and need replacing.

On the scroll thing, have you tried a external mouse to see if it works fine(including the scroll wheel if it has one)? Can you download and reinstall the touchpad drivers to see if that fixes the problem. It may be that a connection somewhere has gone away and that usually means replacing the touchpad with a new one. It's not likely but i have seen that happen once. Does everything else in the touchpad work?

SRX660

kittiekat414

kittiekat414

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

i had mega issues with my router, like usual

Why would you have major issues with a router? They either work very well or are just bad and need replacing.

On the scroll thing, have you tried a external mouse to see if it works fine(including the scroll wheel if it has one)? Can you download and reinstall the touchpad drivers to see if that fixes the problem. It may be that a connection somewhere has gone away and that usually means replacing the touchpad with a new one. It's not likely but i have seen that happen once. Does everything else in the touchpad work?

SRX660

I know, right? Routers are easy, lol, tell Belkin that! If they don't fix it I'm going to have them send me a replacement, I'm tired of calling once or twice a week so they can give me a temporary fix : ) I've never had problems with a router before now.

I have not tried an external mouse, I don't have one yet. I have checked in my hardware devices, and updated all my drivers, it didn't seem to do anything. And yeah, the rest of the touch pad works just fine. It's a mystery, and it happened quite suddenly. As for replacing the touch pad, how much does that run, and is it worth it? Because a wireless mouse, or even the arrow keys are preferred to spending a lot of money for such a minor problem.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
It's far easier to buy a USB wireless mini-mouse for $20 than to try replacing the touchpad, but it can be replaced. I bought one off ebay for a customer but ended up charging him $100 to install the $10 part( + $6 shipping), and i still worked cheap since it took 4 hours to do. Perhaps someone with more experience on laptops could do it cheaper.

Just for your info,

http://computers.sho...14&_sop=1&_sc=1

SRX660

kittiekat414

kittiekat414

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

It's far easier to buy a USB wireless mini-mouse for $20 than to try replacing the touchpad, but it can be replaced. I bought one off ebay for a customer but ended up charging him $100 to install the $10 part( + $6 shipping), and i still worked cheap since it took 4 hours to do. Perhaps someone with more experience on laptops could do it cheaper.

Just for your info,

http://computers.sho...14&_sop=1&_sc=1

SRX660

Ok, it started working again all of a sudden, lol. I have no clue. But thanks for the help, and I think I will take your advice and get a mini-mouse, just in case : )

Thanks again!