Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Display driver got corrupted, can't reistall it

• Please log in to reply

sivan_d

sivan_d

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello,

It's happened to me several times before: after a power outage (I need to get a UPS, I know) my display would suddenly appear rotataed by 90 degrees, like, lying on one side. I downloaded all the drivers for my motherboard - it's onboard graphics (my mobo is: ECS G31T-M7). Would reinstall my Display driver when this would happen. It would fix the problem, until today. Now, during the driver installation I'm just getting the message: "an unknown error has occured, the program will now close". Tried removing and reinstalling (after that failed installation something seemed to get installed anyway, so I needed to remove that), re downloading the driver - no use. Ran MalwareBytes an an AV scan - found nothing.

I am wondering - other than reinstalling Windows, whar can I do to fix that?

Thjanks,
Sivan.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Some graphics cards come with utilities or an option to rotate your display.
Most likely to be found in the Display/Advanced option.

Click on Start/Control Panel/Display/Setting Tab, Advanced button or it
could be an Icon in the control panel specifically for the Video Card you have.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 01 August 2010 - 02:39 PM.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Some older video cards used CTRL+ALT+Arrow Key to rotate the display. I know I've done that to a few people at previous jobs to mess with them. (Even had one guy that couldn't figure out how to fix it for the life of him so he just flipped his CRT monitor upside down. :) ) Don't know if it will work in your situation or not, but it is worth a try.

**EDIT** -- Also, if there is an icon down by the clock for your graphics card, try right-clicking on it and going through the options listed there, to see if there is a way to change the rotation of the display.

Edited by Fenor, 01 August 2010 - 02:47 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Onboard Video
Onboard Video Chipset Intel GMA 3100

The Intel 3100 integrated grpahics on that ECS motherboard do indeed have a rotate facility, amongst many others. Check the Intel site igf you need to however
Right click on desktop -> properties. Click the Settings tab and then click the [Advanced] button. In there, you will, I think find a tab called "Intel Graphics" . Click on that, and there's a separate advanced or graphics properties buttons that lets you rotate the screen.

If this not there, then it is in the Intel Graphics Control in Control Panel or on your taskbar as suggested by Fenor.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 01 August 2010 - 03:03 PM.

sivan_d

sivan_d

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello,

OK, I understand. Actually learned it myself just yesterday.
But now the situation is different - I have uninstalled the motherboard's graphics driver and tried reinstalling it, and got the error message mentioned in my first post. This procedure used to solve the problem (reinstallation of the graphics driver), but now I could not install is after removing it. Tried even downloading it again, no luck.

So now I have no adequate display driver.
What do I do?

Thanks,
Sivan.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I do not quite understand. I advised you to follow the guidance offered in my post 4.
Enter setup usually F2 or delete on first post. Check that onboard graphics is enabled.

sivan_d

sivan_d

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
OK, I will. Then I'll just try installing the driver.
Will let you know.

Thanks,
Sivan.