Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

starcraft 2, periodic internet lag

• Please log in to reply

Doraemon

Doraemon

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hello,

I don't know if this is appropriate to post here, or in the network section.

I have a weird problem when playing sc2. I will encounter 1 or 2 sec internet lag when playing games on battle net, even when playing against A.Is. It's very short, the window saying "Waiting for Server" will pop up for 1 or 2 second, then disappear, then everything is ok again, until next time it happens. Sometimes the lag is so short the window doesn't even pop up. Every game I play, it will happen every once in awhile amounting to 4-5 times per game., sometimes more, I will never drop, and it will never last for more than 2 sec.

I don't think it's a pc performance issue as I play single player campaign with no problem very smoothly. I also capped my fps at 60 so I really doubt it's a graphic issue, besides the periodic spike, sc2 runs very well. Decent computer, win7 64, i7 960, 12gb ram, gts250, stock dell xps.

I have time warner cable for internet. I went to speakeasy's speed test, its download speed was close to 7mb, and upload close to 1.5mb... so I think it's pretty fast, definitely should not have any problem playing games on battle net. I also use OpenDNS for my dns, i donno if that would cause any problem. I also did a lot of things blizz support site said like disable checksum offload on my networl card, i don't even know what it means... but nothing has helped.

The problem is very very very similar to that problem where wireless connections in vista will have that background scanning thing that causes periodic lag spike, and you can fix it by using a wlan optimizer. I used to have that problem playing WoW using wireless with my old comp.

But the problem is... I am not using wireless this time around, and the game is sc2.

Any ideas from what I have explained?

Thanks for any help!

Advertisements

Prototinker

Prototinker

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Checksum is an error prevention deally. I'm sorry your game lags.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi Doraemon!

I would try the steps located HERE and see if they help. It is a link to a Blizzard technical support site, detailing steps to take to try to fix constant disconnections from games.

Doraemon

Doraemon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Hi Doraemon!

I would try the steps located HERE and see if they help. It is a link to a Blizzard technical support site, detailing steps to take to try to fix constant disconnections from games.

Thanks for help, but I tried all those steps on that site, none of them worked. Maybe it's just ISP sucks...

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
How you tried disabling your A/V while playing a multiplayer game?

There are also lots of ports that you need to forward when playing SC2 games over battle.net. Have you forwarded all of them in your router to your computer?

Edited by Fenor, 01 August 2010 - 08:51 PM.

Doraemon

Doraemon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

How you tried disabling your A/V while playing a multiplayer game?

There are also lots of ports that you need to forward when playing SC2 games over battle.net. Have you forwarded all of them in your router to your computer?

I forwarded them all, tcp 1119,1120 and udp 1119. I haven't tried completely disabling A/V. I'll give that a try. Thanks!