Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Strange pop-up in Firefox

• Please log in to reply

peppers13

peppers13

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
Hoping someone can please help me solve this mystery!

I use Firefox. Several days ago when I opened the browser, within a few moments, another tab opened on its own with some random website (that looked rather fishy). My main antivirus software is the paid version of AVG which claimed there was nothing wrong with my computer. I also downloaded Malwarebytes which did find some things (at first).

ORIGINAL Malwarebytes Log

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.46
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 4372

Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3
Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702

7/30/2010 10:14:34 PM
mbam-log-2010-07-30 (22-14-34).txt

Scan type: Quick scan
Objects scanned: 150716
Time elapsed: 8 minute(s), 49 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 3

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
C:\Documents and Settings\Susan\Local Settings\Temp\7.tmp (Backdoor.Bot) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\cpnprt2.cid (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\YT16M5qn.exe.a_a (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

I deleted those files.

Edited by peppers13, 02 August 2010 - 05:06 AM.

Advertisements

peppers13

peppers13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
The problem kept occurring (usually only after the computer has rebooted...not necessarily when I first open Firefox but within the first few minutes of my browsing the Internet, the tab will open on its own...always a different site).

I downloaded Avast which found nothing. I ran Spybot which found nothing out of the ordinary cookies that it gets upset about.

I finally downloaded Super AntiSpyware which claimed it had found lots of stuff; had it quarantine/delete everything and reboot. Once again, the problem still occurred.

I have run TFC, Erunt, re-ran Malwarebytes, and re-ran Super AntiSpyware, too.

The GMER Rootkit Scanner locked up my computer twice...so bad that I couldn't control-alt-delete, and even when I tried to do a "print screen" function at least to save what it had found, I had to do a hard reboot for a second time.

Finally, I ran OTL. I don't know if the post is too long, but every time I have tried to send this entire post, it locks up and claims that things aren't right. I have the logs, but I don't know if there is a limit to post length? Please help!!!

peppers13

peppers13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
I have tried to send the OTL log (copying/pasting the text into this window), but I'm guessing it is too long.

Going to attempt now to attach the 2 screencaps of what is occurring. So very sorry for all these posts.

Attached Thumbnails

• screencap01.JPG
  • screencap02.JPG

peppers13

peppers13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Please close this topic. I have had someone else help me.