Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DUAL MONITORS!?!?!

• Please log in to reply

Mangafairy

Mangafairy

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I have a spare monitor which I want to use with my laptop- it's an Advent :'(

I am able to plug my monitor into the laptop and view the same on both screens/ only on laptop/ only on other monitor (depending which i want).

However I've been trying to make it so that I can extend my desktop and use the two screens as one. PROBLEM. I know that in settings it should come up with the image of the two monitors and my primary one being larger however it only comes up with a picture of my current screen without the option of adding screen number 2. Anyone more PC savvy know if this means I can't do what I've been trying to? I thought i could because they do work together with it as a clone screen...

THANKS!!! =>.=

Advertisements

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
http://www.microsoft...s/monitors.mspx

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
what's the make/model of the laptop? when you right click on the desktop and do properties, on the settings tab is there an "advanced" button? if so, what comes up when you press that

Mangafairy

Mangafairy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Oh... after following the instructions on that site it says Dual-View may not be compatable if you cant see the two screens in settings... But my desktop image still shows live on the extra monitor?!

Mangafairy

Mangafairy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

what's the make/model of the laptop? when you right click on the desktop and do properties, on the settings tab is there an "advanced" button? if so, what comes up when you press that

it comes up with 'General Adapter Monitor Troubleshoot' but I've looked through these

Mangafairy

Mangafairy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

it comes up with 'General Adapter Monitor Troubleshoot' but I've looked through these

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
make/model

Mangafairy

Mangafairy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

make/model

Advent 7082

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
try going Here (might want to bookmark thetechguys.com, apparently they're the only people on the planet who support advent computers) and downloading an updated driver for your video card (ATI Radeon Catalyst chipset/display drivers (Windows XP) ), the catalyst driver should have the ability to allow you to configure the card a bit easier

Edited by dsenette, 02 August 2010 - 11:41 AM.

Mangafairy

Mangafairy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

try going Here (might want to bookmark thetechguys.com, apparently they're the only people on the planet who support advent computers) and downloading an updated driver for your video card (ATI Radeon Catalyst chipset/display drivers (Windows XP) ), the catalyst driver should have the ability to allow you to configure the card a bit easier

I dont understand what it will do O.o

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it will update your graphics driver. the driver that runs your graphics card. not knowing exactly what version you've got installed i can't say that this will definitely fix the issue, but i'm goind to assume that you've never updated the drivers to begin with so they're probably the ones that came installed with the laptop. newer drivers often come with newer features, and this might give you the option of extending your desktop to the second monitor instead of just having it set as a clone

Mangafairy

Mangafairy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
ooooh ok thanks i will try and update if it works :) but thank you for your time even if it doesnt :)

Mangafairy

Mangafairy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
during setup it said it couldnt find a driver compatible and to set up a 'standard' vga driver ...

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
try the download link at the bottom of this page (Catalyst Software Suite)