Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Needing Help /w Motherboard Connections

• Please log in to reply

Findae

Findae

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi, everyone!

I recently bought a Black Widow V9 gaming tower and I'm in the process of moving my Dell Inspiron 530 into its new home. (Not the greatest choice, since the Dell machines are built to fit their towers, but this is a first step towards making my PC completely custom; I'll start replacing parts as needed until the dell stuff is completely gone.)

It's mostly gone very smoothly, but I have run into a couple snags. First, I'm having a hard time figuring out what to do with the motherboard connectors that run to the power button and LEDs. The old dell tower had a 6-pin connector that was in this format:

(Looking directly at the connector. Reverse order from left to right to see what the male motherboard pins look like.)

[ ] ( ) (1) (2) (3)

( ) ( ) (4) (5) (6)

1. Brown cord connecting to top of power button
2. White cord connecting to top of power LED
3. Red cord connecting to bottom of power LED
4. Blue cord connecting to bottom of power button
5. Black cord connecting to hard drive LED (can't tell top or bottom)
6. Yellow cord connecting to hard drive LED (can't tell top or bottom)

The new tower has multiple split up pins that are each labled:

1. Green/White linked single pins: Power LED + and Power LED -
2. Green/Black double pin: Reset Switch
3. Blue/White double pin: Power Switch
4. Red/White double pin: HDD LED

I have absolutely no idea how to go about assigning which pins go where. According to this site: http://en.community....t/19282654.aspx , the only way to know what dell did with their pins is to guess. I'm nervous about doing that. Can I assign pins based on educated guesses without worrying about frying anything? If so, can anyone else who's a bit more knowledgeable with this kind of thing give me some suggestions?

My second problem is that there are lots of shiny new fans on my tower, and I'm not sure how to connect a couple of them. They have the same 4-pin connector format as other parts, but they have female ends instead of male ones. I picked up a Corsair TX 650w power supply to replace the old dell one (apparently 350w is underpowered for my GeForce 9800 GTX+, teehee), and all it has for the 4-pin connectors are female ends. While I'm very lesbian-friendly, my fans aren't. ;D Do I need to pop over to an electronics store and buy adapters to turn the fans' female ends male, or am I missing something? >.>

Thank you for any and all help!

Advertisements