Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing XP (with a twist)

• Please log in to reply

vladisawsome!

vladisawsome!

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I have this x series e server 330, now this computer has NO VGA output. Or at least my computer doesn't. So I am attempting an impossible task. Installing XP without a monitor. (NOTE) the computer doesn't have an OS. How should i do this? BTW Im using the computer for hosting purposes, so accessing the computer would be through remote desktop.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if you can't get a monitor or some video output directly on the machine in question then it's not really going to be possible to set it up.

in theory you could do a PXE (network boot) boot to a remote install image, but you'd need to have a monitor hooked up to set that up anyway

vladisawsome!

vladisawsome!

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
k....... another question, what if i hook that computer's harddrive to another computer and install xp onto there? Will it work if it connect the disk to another computer?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
only if the two computers are configured EXACTLY the same (i.e. almost every piece of hardware would need to be the same). XP doesn't transfer from one hardware platform to another without having to do some work (which requires a monitor)