Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Running Windows 9x Games in Windows 7

• Please log in to reply

Rachel Ewok

Rachel Ewok

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Alright, so I've been feeling nostalgic lately. I wanted to play some of my old Windows 9x games. I pulled out stuff like, Barbie Riding Club, Oregon Trail 4th Edtion, Monkey Island. etc.

I have Windows 7 Home Premium (which does not get the VirtualMachine update from Windows. grrrrr....)

So far, I've gotten Monkey Island to work through DOSbox. But the other two (and many other Windows 95/98 games) have failed. When I try to install in Windows 7 I get an error message saying that they are not combatible with my version of Windows. I imagine that they are 16-bit while my system is either a 32 or 64 bit.

So to fix this I googled Windows 98 emulators- no luck. Next I found out about VirtualBox. I have a full version of Windows 98, but do not have a boot disk. To fix this problem I then found a boot disk... which has an .iso file? This is where I become confused, I have no idea how to burn an .iso to a disk (there doesn't appear to be a file with an .iso extension anywhere in the zip file I downloaded from a boot disk site). How do I install Windows 98 to VirtualBox, so far I have only found tutorials which assume that you can get the OS running, this I cannot do.

Also, VirtualBox seems like alot of work. Is there another way/ workaround to be able to play all my old games on Windows 7? It seems very silly to me that all games older than say, five years are suddenly incompatible. It's nice Windows looks to the future, but they should think about the past too. I mean, why else do I have records in my room, am I right? =)

Advertisements

rubber7

rubber7

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
Hi, Rachel

I actually just started playing around with VirtualBox myself. I loaded it up just Yesterday. I loaded Win XP on my VM. I also struggled with the unclear guide. I loaded XP onto my Virtual Machine from my DVD Drive on my computer. It didn't want to load from the option menu in the VM. All I did to make it work is reboot the VM and it started to boot from my DVD drive. I haven't tested it yet to boot from a USB drive.
So what I would suggest to you is that if you want to load Win 9x then you would need to have it boot from either a cd/dvd drive or USB drive on your computer by resetting your VM.

It worked for me. Hope it helps :)