Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to boot from windows XP CD

• Please log in to reply

alteregoelizabeth

alteregoelizabeth

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello
I'm in desperate need of help. I looked through all the furoms, including this one and couldn't find answers to solve my problem.

I have an intel desktop (not sure what more info to add)
Yesterday when I was trying to restart, I received, this error message:
Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM
So I inserted the windows cd to repair the problem. I got to the level where I was asked to click "r" to start the repairing. and that's where it stopped, after clicking "r", the computer would just try to start windows and go back to the same error message.

Things I have tried: I did change the BIOS setting to have it boot from cd-rom first.
I have used the same windows cd that I have installed on the pc, tried other recovery consule cds I have found online and nothing.
The keyboard and mouse aren't connected to any USB (read somewhere that it has something to do with booting issues).
It seems like my computer doesn't recognice the cd or it can't boot from it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Edited by alteregoelizabeth, 03 August 2010 - 02:01 AM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Personally, i think your hard drive has gone bad. It probably had developed some bad sectors where the system files reside.

While it is possible that a script of some sort could have disabled your system, it still comes to the same thing. I have had 2 newer computers that run SATA drives come in with the same problem you have. No matter what i tried i could not get either one to run or reinstall XP on them. Since i did not want to spend hours(days even) trying to figure out the problem, i just replaced the SATA drives in these computers. I then had no problem reinstalling XP on either computer. I tried putting the old drive back in one of the computers and still got the no boot at all thing again. SO, to save any data that i could, i set up the old SATA drive in a external enclosure. The same computer the drive came out of could see the drive perfectly and i just transferred as much of the data as i possible could. The other computer's SATA drive i also set up in a external enclosure and it also could be seen by the same computer. I sold them the enclosure so they also did not lose any data(pictures). I keep thinking it is some kind of bug with SATA drives that allow pictures with code included in them to do this. It's a long shot but twice now for the exact same thing say's to me something is up.

SRX660

alteregoelizabeth

alteregoelizabeth

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
thanks for replying.
Now I downloaded some ARCDC that creates your own restore program, I did create it with my second comp (it runs the same windows xp professional). the troubled computer did manage to read this cd and I did get to the level of the setup. but now I get this error message :
setup cannot find the end user licensing agreement (EULA)