Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help with a Dell?

• Please log in to reply

blueskieswoman

blueskieswoman

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
:tazz: Back again with several problems. A friend gave me a Dell (2 yrs old) when they replaced it with a newer model. I took it back to the beginning & reloaded everything from scratch to make sure it was clean & clear. Am running everything you suggest: WinPatrol, Spyblaster, Spybot S&D, and Ad-Aware; also Norton Anti-virus plus the beta version of MicroSoft Anti-virus. I have been good about keeping up with updates & making sure all is okay. However, I was gone for 3 1/2 months & even tho schedules were followed, some got behind.

I have everything current now. Ran everything. HOWEVER, since then, my system is getting slower and slower. It freezes. It takes 5 to 10 seconds to respond after double-clicking on a program, leaving me to wonder if I actually DID double-click or just thought I did.

NETSCAPE - have an account & wanted to download it to run & see if it is faster than the more local service we have. Downloaded the files & installed. When I bring up the service tho, it dials & then redials & redials & redials & eventually gives the error message the line is busy. I cannot get it to work & even tho I have written to Netscape Technical Support twice now, have no answer in my netscape mail. Any ideas? I have reloaded, tried again, removed, reloaded etc. Everything I can think of to do. Still no luck.

Norton Antivirus is acting strange too. It comes up with messages that 'such & such program' is waiting for a virus scan of 'such & such file'. Why is it doing this? I don't recognize the files (i.e. default. hpz or errors.hpz or fb55.tmp) & don't know how to get it to stop doing this. No other programs are running & no others are logged on the computer.

Last but not least, whenever someone logs off, a message box comes up that says "DEVLDR" "Ending Program. Please wait." - it acts as tho it is ending whatever this program is, then comes the error message that the program is not responding and gives you the choice of "end now" or "cancel". Selecting "end now" allows the user to finally log off.

What in the world am I doing wrong? Is there any way to fix all this & to speed this baby up?

Thanks in advance for any ideas, information, support, suggestions you can give!

Advertisements

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Click HERE to give you the answer to your devldr problem.

To resolve this issue, remove or turn off the Creative Labs SoundBlaster Live Driver and reinstall the driver from the Windows XP CD-ROM. To do this, follow these steps:
1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
2. In Control Panel, double-click System.
3. In the System Properties dialog box, click the Hardware tab, and then click Device Manager.
4. Expand Sound, video and game controllers.
5. Right-click Creative Labs SoundBlaster, and then click Uninstall.

When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
6. Reinstall the sound card driver.

The SoundBlaster live! driver that is included with Windows XP does not work. To download an update for the driver, visit the following SoundBlaster Web site:
http://www.soundblas.../support/winxp/

blueskieswoman

blueskieswoman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Thank you coachwife6! I will gladly try this.

Question tho...do I remove the driver then download it from the XP cd and then get the updated version from the website? Do I then need to install the downloaded version?

What order do I do things in?

Sorry if this sounds ignorant, but I am pretty new at this and am working hard to keep my system clean & running good.

Also, finally was able to use Netscape. It does not like the *70 to stop call waiting tho. When I removed that check in dialing options it worked just fine and allowed me to dial out. Our current local IP tells us the problems we have staying connected to them are because the 'phone lines to this area are so old'. Yet they want us to upgrade to dsl. I don't get this. One of many things I don't understand in life tho! :tazz:

Thanks again for you help!

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Just follow the directions I've already listed.