Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Fitting regular PC into smaller case

• Please log in to reply

tiroshii

tiroshii

• PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
Moving into my own place in the next few months and finally have a good use for my old desktop (quit gaming so bought a laptop). It seems a waste to just throw it away, and so I'm thinking about turning it into a kind of mini server plugged into my laptop (to save using external boxes for my hard drives) and to run downloads permanently (seeing as my laptop spends a lot of time out of the house/not connected to the internet.

Basically, the kit salvageable from my old desktop is as follows:

Asus P5B mainboard with an Intel Core2 Duo E6750 @ 2.66GHz with bog standard DDR2
If possible it would be cool to keep my ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro. GFX card, but this isn't overly important. I also have a brand new only used once PSU which could be used if needed.

Now comes the interesting bit! I have a strong feeling there is an old Shuttle case in the attic, and as I don't want a massive PC lying around I was thinking of making use of this, now here's the question

Would my kit fit inside the Shuttle case, or something similar? (Basically is the main board too big - therefore, what's the smallest case it could manage?)

If not, I guess I could spend a little money, so found this - http://www.cclonline...tid=sg41j1plus#
  • Can't find the model number for the mobo, only the chipset - different?
  • Would this take my Intel E5750?
  • And my Graphics card?

OR, is there a small case/something similar that would fit my stuff?

Obviously I'd prefer to keep my set up exactly as it is (save money) and simply transplant the lot into a new case, but I don't mind spending some money on it if it means I can get a nice small case.

Edited by tiroshii, 03 August 2010 - 10:31 AM.

Advertisements

tiroshii

tiroshii

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
Just found this:

It's for the Deluxe version but I assume it's the same for the usual version

Asus P5B - 'ATX Form Factor, 12"x 9.6" (30.5cm x 24.5cm)'

RangerOfTheNorth

RangerOfTheNorth

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Moving into my own place in the next few months and finally have a good use for my old desktop (quit gaming so bought a laptop). It seems a waste to just throw it away, and so I'm thinking about turning it into a kind of mini server plugged into my laptop (to save using external boxes for my hard drives) and to run downloads permanently (seeing as my laptop spends a lot of time out of the house/not connected to the internet.

Basically, the kit salvageable from my old desktop is as follows:

Asus P5B mainboard with an Intel Core2 Duo E6750 @ 2.66GHz with bog standard DDR2
If possible it would be cool to keep my ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro. GFX card, but this isn't overly important. I also have a brand new only used once PSU which could be used if needed.

Now comes the interesting bit! I have a strong feeling there is an old Shuttle case in the attic, and as I don't want a massive PC lying around I was thinking of making use of this, now here's the question

Would my kit fit inside the Shuttle case, or something similar? (Basically is the main board too big - therefore, what's the smallest case it could manage?)

If not, I guess I could spend a little money, so found this - http://www.cclonline...tid=sg41j1plus#

• Can't find the model number for the mobo, only the chipset - different?
  • Would this take my Intel E5750?
  • And my Graphics card?

OR, is there a small case/something similar that would fit my stuff?

Obviously I'd prefer to keep my set up exactly as it is (save money) and simply transplant the lot into a new case, but I don't mind spending some money on it if it means I can get a nice small case.

By far the easiest and sure fire way to solve this is dig out the old case and measure the positions of the screws (even put it down on a piece of paper if it helps) then look at the mother-bored in your current rig.

If the mother bored fits into the case your good, if the screws line up your laughing. There are other ways off mounting a motherboard to a case without using the screws as well... just use google :)

tiroshii

tiroshii

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

By far the easiest and sure fire way to solve this is dig out the old case and measure the positions of the screws (even put it down on a piece of paper if it helps) then look at the mother-bored in your current rig.

If the mother bored fits into the case your good, if the screws line up your laughing. There are other ways off mounting a motherboard to a case without using the screws as well... just use google :)

The problem is that I can't get to the case easily and starting to think I may have ditched it. Will try and get hold of it and measure up.

jeffeulogy

jeffeulogy

• Pip
  • 3 posts
an atx board will not fit into a shuttle case unless you cut 6 inches or so of it off but then it won't work anymore. your cpu and memory will be fine with that barebones you linked to, and quite possibly the graphics card as well but if you're just using it as a file server you'd save a little bit of power just using the integrated graphics in either case.